Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Words Matter: Naming the {Farm}

I love words.
On a good day, I consider myself a bit of  a wordsmith.
Other days.... I just simply enjoy words.
and
I love typography.
Seriously love it.
Typography is words with visual appeal.
I'm a sucker for a quirky, interestingly made letter.



Combine those loves with the fact that we just finally, after five months of living here, decided on a farm name that everyone agrees on....
Well, that right there's gotta be celebrated and proclaimed just so.

You see, this farm we inhabit has a story that ties directly to my heart strings.
Because this is my family farm; the farm where I grew up.

And now I'm back, with my little family of five, right here on familiar ground with familiar people.
We're reclaiming the land, shaping up the house and helping my parents build a little mom & pop apartment in the wonderful, retro 1940's gas station building on our property.
Three generations together on family land.

Can you hear my heart sigh?
Can you see why this farm naming is such a bigger than big deal?
I thought so.

Our farm name is dual- straight from scripture and also a play on words, one of my mama's passions.

Pulling from scripture, pulling from The Word.....

So this is what the Sovereign Lord says:
“See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone,
a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation;
the one who relies on it will never be stricken with panic."
Isaiah 38:16

And I simply love the message version of Ephesians 2:19-22
 That’s plain enough, isn’t it? You’re no longer wandering exiles. This kingdom of faith is now your home country. You’re no longer strangers or outsiders. You belong here, with as much right to the name Christian as anyone. God is building a home. He’s using us all—irrespective of how we got here—in what he is building. He used the apostles and prophets for the foundation. Now he’s using you, fitting you in brick by brick, stone by stone, with Christ Jesus as the cornerstone that holds all the parts together. We see it taking shape day after day—a holy temple built by God, all of us built into it, a temple in which God is quite at home.

And finally- 1 Peter 2:5-6 (NIV):
You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 For in Scripture it says:
“See, I lay a stone in Zion,
    a chosen and precious cornerstone,
and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame.”

Living stones.... a sure foundation.... a home country.... building a home.... you belong in what he is building.... fitting you brick by brick, stone by stone..... with Jesus Christ as the Cornerstone.

Those words draw me in and call me home. They label me and mine and fit us brick by brick into this space of land and house and blue sky..... fit us stone by stone to this place God provided for us with his infinitely blessed and sweet timing.

Without further ado-- May I present our farm name:



And the play on words? Our farm is situated on a corner with a very large stone sitting out front.
Corner
Stone
Cornerstone Farm

And here's where the typography comes in- Day's Spring's (in)Courage store's new line of typography letters, Words Matter Letterpress Blocks.
When I saw these, I was smitten.
Seriously smitten.

Because words matter. And words that matter should be celebrated in beautiful ways.

And I couldn't just stop there.... I also played with the idea of family and farm....



Aren't those brackets darling?!
Sigh.

You can create your own words using the different fonts and block sizes to create your own beautiful, unique word picture right on their website.

This would look stinkin' cute in my dining room:



And the room we're turning into a sitting room/family library..... well, this gets me good >>>



The naming of things is important and words matter.
Do you have a word that is resonating with you? Or the special naming of something that needs to be celebrated like our farm?
Create your word!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover