Friday, January 17, 2014

Project Tutorial: Winter Yarn Wreath {with felt scallops}

Once Christmas passed and I took the Christmasy stuff off my yarn wreath, it hung plain and nakey on the front door for a couple of days while I tried to figure out what to do with it. Of course, I have the Valentine-y stuff from last year but I felt the beginning of January was a tad bit early for that.... 


I had a bag of pom-poms that The Boy made months and months and months ago just sitting there unused and forlorn until I was scrounging around for tidbits to use for decorating for Ms. Books 17th birthday. I strung a pom-pom garland with them for her birthday and then wondered what to do next.
And I looked at my nekked wreath and thought- Why Not?


The colors say Winter to me in a make-me-smile way. Since I'm all about use what you have and don't over think it decorating right now, I used long straight pins to add the pom-poms to the wreath.

I lived with it like that for a few days and decided it needed something more. I'd gone super simple for Christmas and now I wanted a bit more. Besides those pom-poms are huge on the lower left side and needed some evening out.
I went to my Get Crafty: Wreath Pinterest Board for inspiration and hit upon making scallops.
Knowing I couldn't free hand scallops and be happy with it, I used a small drinking glass to draw connecting circles on a piece of paper and then cut it out to resemble a scallop edge.
Voila! Scallop Template!
Next up was digging through my felt stash for the right color combo. This was not hard at all.


After cutting the scallops out, I alternated and layered them until I got the look I was aiming for in my head when I started these shenanigans. 


I secured the scallops one at a time onto the yarn wreath with straight pins. And because I wanted just a wee bit of something more- I added a scrap of lace ribbon to top it all off.


I do like how it turned out.
Very much so.

And I like how it took me all of 20 minutes and zero dollars to throw it together.


Happy Winter All!



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover