Monday, July 15, 2013

Mid-summer slump, breakfast and muffins

With this hot, hot weather I admit it- I hit my mid-summer slump.
Towards the end of last week- the weather is amazing. As in no need to run the a/c but open the windows and feel the breeze type of weather. 
Can I just say I love me some open windows breezy blue sky beautifulness....
Anyhoo- I knew the glorious days were limited- the forecast is looking icky sticky all week long... the temps are scheduled to climb, climb,  climb every day.
So I know me and I know I'm gonna slide right back into that mid-summer I'm a slug slump.
Ugh.
It's 89 degrees right now with a "feels like" temp of 100. The humidity is heavy.
Ugh.
One thing the slump had done to me, these last few hot weeks, is to throw me off my breakfast makin' game.
We decided long ago that for our budget and our tummies that boxed cereal would have to be eaten on only a limited basis. And I've been good about for like- forever.... well at least the last 9-10 years. That's pretty much like forever.
But this summer the slump and heat and amazing cereal sales caught me.
And I caved.
Just a couple of weeks ago I had 8 boxes of cereal in my home.
8!
And by this past Thursday- we had 3 half boxes left.
Ugh.
Cereal just doesn't fill their hungry bellies. The boy has started requesting a 2nd helping or they're all wanting snacks by mid morning.... this is the main reason we stopped eating cereal on a regular basis. It just doesn't stay with you like a good ol' bowl of oatmeal.
But it's been too stinkin' hot for oatmeal the last few weeks....
What to do, what to do....

The beautiful break in the weather last week inspired me and set me to baking once again. Oh how I miss baking up some yumminess for my loves.

I made cinnamon cranberry bread  which I knew would be great for light breakfasts and for snacks.
And I whipped up some muffins.
Muffins are filling and just right for sweltering summer breakfasts.

Here are two of my favorite go to muffin recipes.... serious easy peasy-ness right here.
Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins and Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Muffins.


Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins
1 package spice cake mix (or sub in yellow if it's all you've got on hand)
1 15 oz can pureed pumpkin
1 cup dried cranberries (or sub in dried cherries if you've got 'em)

Mix together the cake mix and pumpkin until well blended. Fold in the cranberries. Scoop batter into wells of a greased muffin pan- filling each well about 2/3 full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
Makes 18 muffins

Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Muffins
1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
5 Tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl, stir together first 5 ingredients using a fork (dry ingredients). In a separate bowl combine egg, sour cream and melted butter, stir well. Add in vanilla extract and stir to combine.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Gently fold chocolate chips into the batter.
Scoop batter into wells of a greased muffin tin- evenly distributing the batter in the wells until it's gone.
Bake at 350 degrees for 14-18 minutes.
Makes one dozen muffins.

We have 2 muffins each for breakfast with a side of fresh fruit and we're good to go.
I've got some fresh raspberries on hand right now and I'm thinking of making the chocolate chip sour cream muffins again and folding in a couple handfuls of raspberries to change it up a bit.

Also on the breakfast front this week- Yogurt Smoothies. We've got a nice selection of fruit (fresh and frozen) and we've got yogurt again- so we'll be enjoying these too- filling our bellies and beating the heat!

Question: When the weather's all hot and sweltery does it change how you do breakfast?


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover