Thursday, June 20, 2013

It's Strawberry Season in Michigan! Strawberry Peach Freezer Jam Recipe

Every year I broaden my homemade food preserving repertoire a wee bit more.
First it was all about the freezing- strawberry freezer jam and our favorite fruits and veggies- raspberries, blueberries, corn and green beans. Next came freezing tomatoes and peaches. Then making and freezing my own tomato sauce....
Then I branched out to pickle making, which introduced me to water-bath canning.
And loved it.


We make canning a family event. It is so much fun!
I just cannot believe how much fun it is.
We add something new each year.
Last year we added bread-n-butter pickle making.
We were so excited by this success that this year we are planning to stretch ourselves farther!
I'm getting an actual honest to goodness water-bath canner. Squeee!

However- I still love filling my freezer with homemade goodness.... so this year's first new recipe was a new freezer jam recipe.
Strawberry Peach Freezer Jam.
Let me say this- its superbly yummilious. Oh yes indeedy!




Strawberry Peach Freezer Jam

2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 ¼ cups finely diced peaches (peeled)
1 pkg (1.75 oz) powdered fruit pectin (aka 1/3 cup)
5 cups sugar

In large saucepan, combine sliced strawberries and diced peaches. Add pectin and stir. Cook and stir mixture until it comes to a full rolling boil (don’t walk away- keep stirring it boils quick). Allow it to boil (keep stirring) for 1 minute. 
Remove from heat.
Pour into jars* of freezer containers. Cool to room temperature (about an hour) before adding lids. Cover and let jars of jam stand overnight or until set (no longer than 24 hours).
Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks or freezer for up to 1 year.
Yield is 5 cups.
I doubled the recipe and filled fifteen 8 oz. jam jars with this yummy deliciousness.

* Make sure your jars are labeled “freezer safe”.

I love how pretty this jam is. Pretty enough to give away.... that is if we don't eat it all.

Currently, I've added the following to my freezer this season:
20 various sized jars and freezer containers of strawberry freezer jam.
15 jam jars of strawberry peach freezer jam.
3 quart size freezer bags of whole [individually] frozen strawberries.

That's a good start!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover