Friday, March 8, 2013

Learning the Presidents

I have decided that Ms. Books needs to learn on the presidents in order.
I don't make my kiddos memorize loads of stuff because I'd rather they know the whys and wherefores rather than spit out dates...
But knowing the presidents ranks right up there with memorizing your times tables and the list of helping verbs. I'm sure it will come in handy some day....
Anyhoo- we do our best memorizing 'round these parts when its put to music.
Thank you Youtube for hooking me up with a couple of real swell songs for learning the presidents.

Not gonna lie- we mostly like this one for the pictures. The ones of Lincoln, Garfield and Chester Arthur (I always forget him) are GREAT!


 It's a wee bit too fast for singing along, which is why we like this one. Plus this one is more up-to-date, having added Obama. Which makes for real great rhyming with "Mama"!


I'm glad the girl is learning her presidents [in order]. But I'm more thankful for the running commentary I get from her concerning her studies of the presidents. Such as:
Taft was a big guy and got stuck in his bathtub... on Inauguration Day!
Lincoln was a licensed bartender
John Quincy Adams owned a pet alligator that he kept in his tub
Hoover had an alligator too
Martin Van Buren was the first to be a United States citizen. All previous presidents were born British subjects.
Garfield could write Latin with one hand and Greek with the other- simultaneously
Lincoln was the 1st president ever photographed at his inauguration- in the photo he is standing near John Wilkes Booth.

That's the stuff that interests her and me too, for that matter.
Did you know that Jimmy Carter was the first southerner elected president after the Civil War? And he reinstated Jefferson Davis' (president of the Confederate States of America) U.S. citizenship? Crazy!

The way I see it- if we listen to The Presidents Song once a day, we'll all know them in no time... 
After all, this song right here helped us learn Henry's wives...
and how they died.



Anytime we can change things up in our learning, we're game to try it!






LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover