Wednesday, February 27, 2013

How Art Class changed me- Coloring Outside my Boundaries

My kiddos and I have been taking art classes from a retired teacher and artist for the past four years. I didn't take an art class in high school. I took an art appreciation class in college that I really liked but to be hands-on? Not me. I didn't own any paints besides the simple little five strip watercolors with cheap brushes that were for my kiddos. I didn't really sketch or draw either. My creative outlets were more towards scrapbooking and card making and things that included lots of hot glue.
Taking this class with my kiddos has been life changing for me. First off all, it has me being a student right along side my children, which thrills them completely- especially when I get reprimanded for talking and not listening and for jumping ahead of instruction... pretty much the same things I got in trouble for when I was in school. *smile*
I now own a bag of art supplies. I've messed with experimented with watercolors, pen and ink, acrylics, pastels and collage. I have actually framed pieces of my work and have them hanging in my home along with my kids framed amazingness. I've even given homemade masterpieces to others as gifts.
This class has been a wonderful experience for me. I have found that I love watercolor painting. Love it! But it took 3 and an half years for me to finally get to a place where I felt comfortable to follow my own whim and create some of my own work that wasn't dictated by the teacher.... I'm not a snowy landscape or painted sunset kind of artist. I'm a lot more off-beat than that. At first, I was concerned my art teacher might scoff at the type of stuff I wanted to create and she did raise her eyebrows some but gave me the freedom to keep going.
So I did.
And it opened my eyes to seeing art more outside the box.
I absolutely and completely adore Katie Daisy's work and did a watercolor based on one of her pieces in art class last month.



It was, by far, one of my very favoritest pieces to create. I had sooooo much fun!
I started pinning project ideas on Pinterest, which opened my eyes a bit wider to see project ideas beyond my norm, which to be honest, I've kind of always wished I could do... see differently, you know....
Anyhoo....
I saw this piece of embroidery pinned by my Sis and right away decided I wanted to try my hand at creating a pen and ink drawing from it.





While I was working on drawing it, I got the idea to add a little bird in a nest with the same type of flourishes at the tree. As I looked at the tree take shape, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be wonderful to add our names to the tree and create my own family tree art? Of course it would be wonderful.
So I did.
And I love it.
names blurred to protect the family

It's currently hanging on the hutch in the kitchen, secured by beautiful washi tape, but soon it will be framed. I just have to make up my mind about the style of frame I want.

I am very thankful for this art class and how it has served it's greater purpose in pulling me further out of my comfort zones. I love how I've created another creative outlet for myself.
I love that I've learned another way to color outside the lines my self-set boundaries.

Rise and Shine and Give God the Glory
By Amy W
Watercolor on watercolor paper

Family Tree
By Amy W 
Pen & Ink on bristol sheet using sharpies and Zig writers.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover