Thursday, February 7, 2013

{Guest Post by Ms. Books} Lessons from the Wood Pile

My oldest, knicknamed here- Ms. Books is currently taking a photography and creative writing class in our homeschool group. I love her photographer's eye.... how she sees the same things so differently from me. I love her writing style... which reminds me a lot of me. She has a heart-tugging writing style and writes what she knows. The following is written about her grandpa, my dad, who she calls Pawpaw. I absolutely love it and felt the need to share it here.
It fits my dad to a T. I love her perspective on wood hauling from a grandchild's eyes. I have to say, my perspective was a lot different concerning this daily chore!


---------------------------------------------------------------
One of the first objects I think of when someone mentions my Pawpaw is wood. It is just a part of him in my mind. My grandparents live in the country next to a great expanse of woods once owned by the family, but is now owned by friendly neighbors that allow us to explore it. It seems like for as long as I can remember my Pawpaw has never stopped chopping wood out there. It is almost like a never ending battle between him and the trees, but I know it is more than that. It is a form of relaxation for him, a way to remove the stress of work from his mind through a hard-earned sweat. It is an escape to a world of his own, where he can disappear with a chainsaw and the gator for hours on end. 

The wood piles are carefully stacked so they are ready for people who have wood heat and rely on my Pawpaw to deliver. Looking at those piles, I think of some of the lessons that I have learned over the years of stacking and splitting wood with my Pawpaw. 

  • The bottom pieces are like the leaders in life, whenever they leave some are bound to follow. So watch your actions, someone is always going to follow you.
  • Always wear gloves when splitting and stacking, it ensures that you have a good grip on the pieces and also protects you from nasty cuts and splinters. Always wear the armor of God no matter where you go, so you can be prepared for those nasty cuts and splinters that life throws at you.
  • When splitting wood, be careful! Even the prettiest logs can spew termites and rolly-polly bugs when cracked open. Remember to not judge people by the outward appearance, but by the fruit of their lives.
  • "Look where you throw the wood, keep your eye on it," so it lands in the pile and not all over the yard or conks your sibling in the head. By keeping your eyes on God your life will have His direction to follow and his heavenly pile to aim at.
  • You always want to make sure the wood has a solid foundation to rest on, like cement or a wood pallet, or even both if you are like my Pawpaw. Without it the wood will be filled with moisture and eventually rot away layer by layer. Everyone was created to live with God as their foundation; so without Him life would be filled with the moisture of sin and eventually rot away to nothing unless brought onto that solid foundation and dried out by the Son’s rays. 

I can’t remember just one memorable conversation with my Pawpaw, I remember many. But some of the most memorable conversations I have had with him were not with words but with actions explaining what words sometimes cannot. 




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover