Thursday, October 4, 2012

Switching up the menu and a recipe for Ranch Potatoes

Sometimes things don't go as planned.
I planned on some super yummy White Chicken Chili and cornbread for supper tonight.

This morning I found that the jar of Aldi Salsa that I'd hidden behind a jar of pickles had been found...
and used up.

Ms. Books idea was to use the homemade salsa she and her daddy had just made last week.
Um, nope. #1- Its their seriously good salsa and I'm not using it in a recipe- it's meant to be eaten with chips and #2 Their salsa is a bit too hot for some people in this house.

Sassafras's idea was to switch up tomorrow nite's meal with tonight's. Nope, not gonna work- we needed a quick put together meal for tonight because I have a meeting. Tomorrow night Mr. Steady wants to make homemade fries to go with his amazing homemade burgers. Tomorrow night is family nite- a time when we have plenty of time for some fun cooking.
But not tonight.

I looked over the menu plan- plotted out for the next six weeks, and it didn't get my juices flowing for tonight.
I'm in a mood, I guess.

So I wandered into the kitchen.



There are two yellow squash and two zucchini in the produce basket.
There are almost 50 pounds of red potatoes on the front porch (Mr. Steady got them for $7.99! Yay! But I haven't separated them for storage yet.... gotta get on that).
Squash, zucchini, red potatoes.... crescent roll dough in the fridge...

Wowey Zowey Zucchini Casserole (we added some sliced mushrooms we had in the fridge- using up those leftovers!)

with Ranch Potatoes.
Plus sides of Homemade family pickles and thick slices of yummy heirloom tomatoes.

I think that's a pretty good supper right there.

.... I can't let you go without sharing the recipe for this delicious potatoes, now can I?

Ranch Potatoes
8 red potatoes, chunked
3 tbsp butter, melted
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp dry ranch dressing
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Put chunked potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Mix melted butter and olive oil together, pour over potatoes and toss to coat. Sprinkle ranch dressing over potato mixture and toss again to combine. Pour potato mixture out on a baking sheet and spread potatoes evenly on sheet. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper (we love sea salt so we don't sprinkle too liberally). Roast in oven for 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes reach desired crispness. Note: Stir the potatoes every 10 minutes or so during cooking time.

As I look this feast over in all of it's deliciousness, it dawns on me.... a meatless meal.
Ms. Books asked me how much I think it cost, this beautiful, colorful supper.... about $6.
For a family of 5. Yeehaw.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover