Tuesday, August 28, 2012

And so it begins... another new year


Today we started school.
Yay!
Mr. Steady took the day off to kick off the year.
Double Yay!

We started the day with a big family breakfast and First Day of School cards to the kiddos from Mama and Daddy. I whip up the cards on the computer (usually using a photo from our back-to-school tablescape) then Mr. Steady and I sit and sit and sit and cry a bit as we write out our encouragement, hopes and prayers for their life, character and school year.


Usually I make breakfast on my own... getting up early and enjoying the quiet before the big hoo-rah. But not so this year. Mr. Steady made the coffee. Ms. Books wandered in and started the apple hand pies. Mr. Conductor created the fresh fruit cups. Sass pulled out serving dishes. It was a beautiful morning in which every quiet and loud moment, each peal of laughter or quiet quick wink was tattooed on my mama heart. There is a whole lotta love in this house and today I wallow in it.

Breakfast: Eggs in Basket, fresh fruit cups, apple hand pies. Milk/Juice/Coffee


And so today we started our seventh year of homeschooling.

Life is good.

The paper on type writer in the photo above reads:
Anyone can be cool
But awesome takes practice.

It has been a hilarious first day. The girls clicked along at a good clip. Mr. Conductor had some stops and starts but finished well. I couldn't find a school book, found out I ordered the wrong handwriting for the boy and totally flaked out in the middle of his spelling pretest (because I couldn't find that book!}. Not a bad first day. Not bad at all.

And since I feel like sharing-- here's some snippets of schooling conversations heard here today--

Ms Books is studying biology- she reads the 4 criteria for life out loud- asking Sassafras to answer yes or no...
Ms. Books: Question 4: Can you reproduce?
Sassafras: Um, no. Not until I'm married.
Mama: Good answer, Sass.

And another one: I was grading Ms. Books' history assignment-
The question read: How are we helped personally be learning about people of the past?
The textbook answer: We are ennobled by those who have done good and convicted by those who have done wrong.
The Ms. Books answer: They are either a good example to us or a terrible warning.

I like her answer better.

Wrapping up- sharing from my morning quiet time:
This is my verse just for me-- to start this new year off right:
When she speaks, her words are wise
and kindness is the rule when she gives instruction.
Proverbs 31:26
Lord Jesus, I ask your blessing upon this school year. Help us (me included) remain diligent in our pursuits of knowledge this year. Help us when we lose focus to get back on track. Remind us of this calling on those mornings when we just don't want to get out of bed, on those days when nothing seems to go right. Bring me peace Lord on those days when I question myself about this whole adventure. Help me to guide each of my children according to their individuality and find ways to continually spark their interest, imagination and creativity. Lord, renew me day by day, keep me steadfast. Thank you for these gifts, my children, that you have given me. May I not let a day go by that I don't thank you for the blessings of this life.
Amen.

We're practicing AWESOME here!




2 comments:

  1. I just started following your blog recently and wanted to let you know how really inspiring I have found it. I only just started reading blogs in general and I'm so glad that I found yours. I am recently married (2 months) and have thought about homeschooling future children. I was homeschooled for 6, 7, and 8th and have always been grateful to my mom for taking on the challenge. I'm looking forward to following how you cope with challenges and inspire your children. I love Sassafras' answer about reproducing! So funny, but also so encouraging to hear that there are young people that have those values. It gives me hope for the future! I am also inspired by your closeness with God. I strive to grow closer to Him and faith. Your posts and prayers give me hope that I can attain it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany- Thank you for your oh so kind words. Congratulations on your new marriage! May God bless and keep you as you strive to daily live out your life for Him. Remind yourself with great verses on the hard days- that's what I do! Some days I write the verses out and stick them in my pocket for the day- pulling them out and reading them as needed. Be encouraged as your kind words have been an encouragement to me. Thanks!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover