Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Blah to Beautiful!


This is a story of
How my kitchen went from this:


To this:
(note: these photos were both taken at the same time of day. No kidding.)


Here's what we did:
Painted all cabinetry with Rust-Oleum's Cabinet Transformations Kit in Pure White using the optional glaze technique
Painted all existing cabinet hardware (handles and hinges) with Rust-Oleum's Spray Paint in Hammered Dark Bronze
Painted the formica countertop with Rust-Oleum's Countertop Coating- color: clay
Installed backsplash (plastic) panels in cross hatch silver
Ripped down very old linoleum wall board and replaced it with beautiful beadboard paneling that we painted Colonial Cobblestone. {Right after Mr. Steady tore down that old wall board- I took a pencil to the walls and wrote lovely scripture all over}
Psalm 34:8 written right on the wall... then covered with paint and beadboard
Added chair rail trim to top of beadboard and painted it Colonial Cobblestone
Painted all baseboards and doors and door trim Colonial Cobblestone
Removed lighthouse wallpaper border and painted the upper third of walls and all windows Superhide White
Put down a wood laminate flooring right over that very old, very notsogreat linoleum {wood laminate: Italian Walnut}
Made new curtains for the two full windows
Decluttered the cabinets and the countertop
Put in a towel bar under the sink (took it from the bathroom)
Added a long rag rug and mat at the sink
Put felt pads on the bottom of all chairs, table, butcher block and hutch

The entire project- start to finish took four weeks, including six days without a sink and five days with the fridge in the dining room. Now that four weeks doesn't mean we worked on it every day, we took Sundays off and there were a couple of nights we had other family activities and another couple of nights we worked on other projects. Four Weeks is how long I went without a proper (in my opinion) kitchen. Four weeks, I'm told, isn't very long at all. So, I must add: I'm glad it only took four weeks.

Price Breakdown:
Rust-Oleum's Cabinet Transformations $60.00 (on sale)
Rust-Oleum's Spray Paint in Hammered Dark Bronze $6.00
Rust-Oleum's Countertop Coating $20.00
Paint for walls: Superhide white (satin) $26 after rebate and Colonial Cobblestone (semigloss) $27 after rebate (both paints: Grand Distinctions line by Pittsburgh Paints at Menards- paint colors are from Dutch Boy) that's $53.00 for paint
Beadboard- um, we're saying "free" because we bought it over seven years ago thinking we were going to tackle the kitchen way back then only to have life intervene in our finances. It was stored in the garage all this time.... We no longer remember what it cost. However, you can pick up similar primed beadboard panels at Menards for around $18 a panel.
Chair rail trim: $32.00
Backsplash panels: Fasade Panels in Cross Hatch Silver- we purchased seven 18" by 24" panels, plus 2 trim pieces (for each end) and the recommended industrial strength glue $152.00
Flooring: wood laminate in Italian Walnut, underlayment (free- can you say rebate! Sah-weet!) plus two pieces of Italian Walnut thresholds $289.00 (we got a super deal- the flooring was on sale and the underlayment was free with the purchase of the flooring)
Curtains: a lovely heavier weight material I purchased at Wal-mart for $22 but I only used half (saving some for other projects- yay!) $11
2 rag rugs stitched together by me plus a padded mat underneath $14.00
felt pads for table & chairs, hutch and butcher block $12

Total spent on this amazing kitchen renovation: $649.00

Holy Wah! What a deal- a brand spankin' new kitchen for just under $650.00!!!
We didn't buy any new appliances- that would have sent the renovation costs soaring beyond our budget. And honestly, we don't need new appliances; ours work just fine. However, my stove looks a lot bright and shinier in this new light and airy kitchen. And I tried out the Pinterest idea of rubbing turtle wax on your stove top for easy cleaning. It works slicker than slick!
Thanks to Pinterest, I also had the idea to turn my kitchen hutch into my own little coffee bar. I'm not done tweaking it yet... I want to find a pretty little tray to set mugs on, but here's a gander:

The hutch was purchased by my  great uncle 30+ years ago. It was a weird yellow color. My mama stripped it down into this beautifulness after she talked him into selling it to her. She gifted it to me a few years ago because I have always loved it so. Its also known as a Hoosier Cabinet- the door on the upper left of the cabinet- its a flour bin. And it has a roll top and the metal "table top" extends out a bit more. Ms. Books is hoping I'll gift her with it some day.... I love how it looks in its bright little corner. It was lost in the old kitchen with its dark walls but now it just pops.
Those cutie patootie picnic baskets? The top one is full of cloth napkins, the second one is packed with ohsosweet green enamel ware plates, cups and bowls, silverware and more cloth napkins for any spur of the moment picnicking (we use it all the time in the summer) and the bottom basket holds a large amount of glass canning jars and lids.

Related Kitchen Posts:
The Kitchen Remodel Begins
Kitchen Sneak Peek

Of note: I have a nice amount of paint and sealer left over from the cabinet transformations kit and have used it to paint the bathroom vanity and am planning to paint the built-in hutch in my pantry. We loved the colonial cobblestone color so much we purchased another gallon for the bathroom redo (we only had about an eighth of a gallon left after finishing the kitchen).

6 comments:

  1. WOW. I absolutely love this!! Your hutch is amazing. I LOVE roll-tops and the "coffee bar" is such a great idea!! I am so impressed with all the hard work you and your awesome hubby did--way to go!! Enjoy the fruits of your labor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This IS amazing! I happened to find your blog via a google search for "yellow farm house". The first post I saw was where you came home from camping and found people painting your house- wow. Then I noted how you organize things (awesome and simple too!) Now I find you've got a hutch like mine (mine has a built-in flour holder thing in one of the upper cabinets, so it WAS a bakers cabinet). I discovered they are called Hoosiers, and considered almost antiques. Mine is beyond that, as the bottom is falling out and the doors don't fit well anymore, but I love it. I'm moving my parents in after next summer and was trying to set up a kitchenette for them and felt kind of at a loss as how to do it. This is a perfect idea to use that Hoosier for! Likely they won't do much cooking but having a set up for coffee, cocoa, would make them feel more at home. Again... thanks so much for sharing. You really never know how much you can help someone with something 'normal' you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Illoura! Thank you for your sweet words. Mine is a Hoosier Cabinet and I love it. Your idea for your parents sounds simply wonderful.
      Thank you so much for your encouraging and kind words!

      Delete
  3. I love the coffee bar! We are in the process of building a home, and we are avid coffee drinkers. I need to make sure I plan for a coffee bar!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I just found your blog by searching for rustoleum countertop coating and I wanted to know how it has held up over the past two years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny you should ask Kathy! I just did a two years later update post (with photos) of the counter.
      Go here: http://acontentedcommonlife.blogspot.com/2014/04/kitchen-counter-top-update-two-years.html#.U16qcYE7vTo

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover