Monday, April 16, 2012

Today, I am grateful for my husband

Each Monday (okay, sometimes on a Tuesday) I post my gratitude list here....
Today, instead of my normal list of 20 or so thankfuls, I want to highlight a very, very huger than huge one...

Today, I am grateful for my husband.

My husband stood along side twenty other godly men at the altar yesterday morning and committed himself to being the spiritual leader in our home. He resolved to daily strive to be the man God has called him to be, to stand up for what is right, seek God's will, love and honor his wife, bless and train his children... and so much more.
After reciting the resolution in front of God, the church and their families, each of these amazing men dropped to their knees at the altar for prayer. 
After prayer, we looked on with tears streaming, as each of these men took their turn at the communion table with pen in hand and signed their commitment in deep black ink.


Each resolution is to be witnessed.
What a joy it was to look on as Mr. Steady and my Dear Sweet Friend's husband signed each others resolutions. I know these men to be sincere godly men who not only seek to live god-honoring lives but also endeavor to encourage, uplift and hold each other accountable to be that man.
Men who teach their boys what it means to be men of courage.
I cannot quite put into words what this day meant to our family.
As we celebrated, we asked the kids what it is that made their daddy courageous-- after a moment of silence my son spoke up and said simply,
"God."
Oh, yes, that's it exactly. My husband has resolved to be a man of courage for the very simple reason that this is exactly what God is calling him to be.
How can he be anything else?

Our family and The Resolution
In case you cannot read the writing on the photograph, here is the resolution:

THE RESOLUTION
I DO solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.

I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.

I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.

I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.

I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.

I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.

I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.

I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.

I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.

I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.

I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.

I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. ---Joshua 24:15

My husband has never, in my recollection, made a promise he did not keep, make a pledge he did not fulfill. I know he will keep this commitment because I already see him living it. This man makes me feel like a priceless treasure and never lets a day go by without showing and telling his children he loves them. He gives of his time and talents to ministries in our church and lives this continuous godly life out loud whether at work, home or elsewhere.

I am thankful today for this Man of Courage God has so graciously, above and beyond what I could ever have imagined or asked for, given me.




2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover