Saturday, March 24, 2012

March Frugal Grocery Spending: Week Three


Week Three is done! And my-oh-my was it a skimpy week. All these painting and remodeling projects are taking precedence over cooking here. Which is good, considering that I don't have a kitchen sink in my kitchen right now and there are dirty dishes in my tub and in the bathroom sink....
Oh yeah... lookit-
Isn't it lovely?
Wal-mart 
1 gallon milk $2.49
Total spent: $2.49

I went into Wal-mart and bought 1 gallon of milk, 1 picture frame, 1 package of safety pins and one little box of seed beads. The frame was for a gift and the pins and beads were for a school project. I was in and out of that store in under 10 minutes!

Meijer 
1 green pepper $.81
1 8 oz package mini Portabella Mushroom slices $2.00
2 pkgs frozen veggies (potatoes, asparagus, squash, peppers, onion) $2.49 each (on sale)
Total Spent: $7.79
* This was a total splurge purchasing trip. I really, really wanted some mushrooms, pepper and squash for our foil pack dinners at my parent’s. They didn’t have any squash to I splurged on the frozen yummy veggie assortment. It was worth it. Those foil packet dinners were delicious!

Grand Total spent this week on groceries: $10.28 

Yippee! $64.72 under budget! With splurge purchases! The two major contributors this week were:
1. Eating simple easy to put together meals from food stuffs we had on hand
2. Eating at my parents one night and with friends another night.

However- it looks like I'll be making something for supper on Saturday as we don't have anything in the way of leftovers due to all the simple meals. I'm not sure what it will be yet either as we still don't have a kitchen sink and that makes more of a difference than one would think. And between the paint fumes and disaster that is my kitchen, I'm not in a really good meal planning mode. I'm also almost out of those "found" paper plates and I am trying hard not to go and splurge on those Chinet nice thick ones... Keeping with the simple theme... I'd say lets cook hot dogs on the fire or grill something except for the fact that we're expecting rain, rain and more rain.
Or I could splurge on some take-out....hmmm... that fine line between frugaling and simplifying... plus maintaining one's sanity in the midst of chaos.

Total spent so far this month on groceries: $176.34 
Budgeted amount for 3 weeks:  $225.00


One Year ago- 6 weeks of groceries 



3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, I just saw your post on painting your kitchen counter tops. Who would have known you could do that? I am guessing you are also going to paint your cabinets. The counter top looks great.
    We replaced out counter tops in our kitchen about 2 years ago. We had a local guy put in formica Wisonart (looks a lot like granite). I abosolutely love them. I don't know that we could have painted our old counter tops because they had a lot of damage.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne! Great to hear from you! Yes, we're painting the cabinets and we're putting beadboard on the 2/3 of the wall and painting, painting, painting. The counter top is already a major improvement from what it once was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Porcelain tiles are another great choice for kitchen countertops are also incredibly durable, they also come in a wide variety of colours and styles and gone are the days when home owners stick to the usual rule of white tiles.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover