Friday, March 2, 2012

It's the Cheesiest

The following is one of many favorite recipes from my all time favorite cookbook: Dinners on a Dime.



This recipe is just made for leftovers! I love how it stretches a pound of meat and provides enough for at least two meals. I also love that I can easily make this recipe for around $10. One way to do that is to substitute ground turkey for the beef. Another great trick is to buy your cheese in blocks and shred it yourself. I purchase my cream cheese at Aldi where is is waaaaaayyyy cheaper than the "regular" grocery stores.
I'm hoping to make the recipe even cheaper later this year by canning some of our own tomatoes!
Mostaccioli Bake with homemade garlic bread

Four Cheese Mostaccioli Bake
1 pound ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
8 oz. mostaccioli pasta, cooked
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

In a skillet over medium heat, brown beef with onion, drain. Stir in mushrooms and tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cream cheese until melted. In a large bowl mix cooked pasta with browned meat mixture, add cheeses and stir 'til well combined. Pour meat and noodle mixture into a greased 9x13 pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

This is wonderful served with steamed vegetables or a nice green salad. My family can't have this without homemade garlic bread!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover