Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Laundry Day's Pressing Questions

I wash laundry and I pray for people I love.
As I do yet another load I think to myself of this ministry of motherhood.
How sometimes pieces of me wish to do bigger things than laundry and dinner and bedtimes.
Today, as I sit with Mr. Conductor and listen to him read and I'm beyond pleased at how his reading is finally coming together and I say a quick prayer of thanksgiving that this is finally clicking....
And pieces of me think am I right for this ministry of homeschooling?
Am I crazy to do this?
There are days when I'd rather stay in bed than get up and argue about math.
Days when I'd rather have a pretty table than an ongoing science experiment.
Days when I wonder what peace and quiet really sound like.
I wonder what my life would be like if I didn't homeschool.
And you know what?
I simply cannot imagine it.
My mind just won't go there.
And that's a good thing.
A very good thing.
I thank God for this crazy chaos that is our life.
For the murky science experiment she's keeping in the basement
and the hilarious drawings he makes of Roman soldiers and knights and a character called One-eyed Gasoline.
For the little love notes my Sassafras leaves on my desk and the doodles she does in the margins of her language arts book.
I fold the laundry and read aloud dictation sentences for one.
Roll socks and interpret signs for another.
Fold towels and count his jumping jacks.
Fold sheets and pray.
The laundry sits in neat piles on my dining table as we all squeeze around the computer in the schoolroom watching a short science video about cone snails.
It still sits there while kiddos go off to cozy reading corners.
Some days I feel like I have nothing to show for all the work I've done and other days...
the laundry sits on the table as a reminder... of the doing.

1 comment:

  1. that is so beautiful. ugh, i must be feeling all sentimental tonight, cause that made me want to cry. lol. i love how you look at the laundry of a sign that you are paying attention to the things that really matter. <3

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover