Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homemade Fabric Softener Q & A

One day I'm gonna make a stinkin' cute label for this amazing stuff.
I have been seriously mind boggled by the Pinterest crowd visiting here.
has been pinned over 3,000 times.
Wowzers.
There have been some questions concerning this super easy, super wonderful recipe...

Is it safe for HE Frontload washers?
My machine is a front loading HE washer and I've been using this recipe for almost a year without incident. I haven't noticed any issues. I regularly remove the tray that you pour the detergent/bleach/softener in and wash it as I notice it gets "gunky" even with commercial detergents/softeners. I've also used a homemade laundry detergent recipe in my machine for the past eight years without issue.
ALSO- I put straight vinegar in just about every wash. I put it in the bleach dispenser.

Does this stay mixed or does it need to be shaken before every use?
The first time I made this recipe I noticed a bit of separation of the mixture and when I shook it up to re-mix it I got a lot of bubbles and I mean A LOT. And they didn't settle right away. The next time I made the mixture I used boiling hot water. I haven't had a problem with separation since.

I made some this weekend and I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed in it because my laundry doesn't smell at all like the fabric softener. They feel nice, but there is no smell. Any suggestions? I used an Herbal Essence conditioner for the smell and am disappointed. 
I have only used Suave Conditioner for this recipe as it is super cheap. Around Christmas time there was a sale on Suave at the grocery store and I stocked up for 75 cents each! I pretty much stick to the Refreshing Water Falls Mist or Lavender Lilac.
The smell is fresh and slight- not overwhelming. If you really want scent, I suggest adding a f3-6 drops of lavender essential oil to the mixture when you make it.
I don't know what fragrance of Herbal Essence you used- it might be that the scent was too light or it could be that particular brand of conditioner waters down too much and loses its smell. 

You don't even need the conditioner, straight up white vinegar works GREAT, and I promise does not leave a smell by the time you dry the clothes!

That's right! It does! I love all the useful uses for vinegar. We like to keep at least 3  gallons on hand at all times. 

1 comment:

  1. I tried this for the first time today, and it does indeed smell wonderful, just a slight scent, not overpowering! Thanks for such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover