Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hard Homeschooling Days

God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine
or guess or request in your wildest dreams!
He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us,
his Spirit deeply and gently within us. 
Ephesians 3:20-12


I'm plunking myself right down in the midst of these verses today. I read some serious wonderfulness in chapter 3 of Ephesians for my quiet time this morning... how little did I know as I highlighted and made notes that these particular verses  would be the ones I would need today.
I spent most of my journaling time writing about this section. Which is all good. Real good. What meat is here! To live full in the fullness of God... Oh yes!

 But it is these above verses that minister to me today. I ache for his Spirit to work deeply and gently within me today. I need this most desperately.
It has been a difficult week.
Homeschooling has been difficult this week and has weighed me down heavy.
We've been tackling some difficult new things these last few weeks... things like multiplication and how to take notes and create outlines for research papers, and creative research projects on the Black Death that include a "fake" autopsy report.... how to enliven your writing and explain Newton's Laws and why cave has a long a but have is short.
That kind of stuff. Normal in the thick of it homeschooling stuff.
Until weeks like this week when a student hands in incomplete work.
Twice.
The Mister and I dealt with that and the week continued on... only to have the same student cheat on a test today.
So when I went to sit in my muddled puddle of "where did I go wrong"... I instead plunked myself in these verses and they became new to me.
When you hear "God can do anything... far more than you can ever imagine." You think of wonderful big things like healing someone of cancer, bringing a lost loved one to Christ, saving a dear one from a bad accident, loved ones being redeemed and renewed, broken relationships restored, needs met, finances righted and so on and so forth....
That's my "far more than you can ever imagine."
Until today.
Today- these verses say to me that God is in the midst of my muddled puddle. My ordinary, every day life. And not only is he here- but He's working within me. He helped me tamp down my temper and speak in well modulated tones to my child. He kept me from even coming near the weeping pity party of "I'm a failure. I'm not cut out to do this. Why did I ever think I could make it homeschooling my children. I'm ruining their lives." I stand firm in my knowing who would whisper those thoughts in my head. He has no place here. Of that I am sure.
God called me to this.
God can do anything... like help me parent and teach my children... far more than I ever imagined... such as getting me through such a week with myself, my students and our school still intact and continuing to progress. Far more than I could ever guess... like bestowing peace on my aching pained mama heart.... Far more than I could request in my wildest dreams... like reaffirming this call to homeschooling on one of my worst school days ever.

So today I proclaim boldly these verses are true! God CAN do anything. Way, way FAR more than I could ever have imagined or guessed or requested in my wildest dreams!
Stop thinking so big... that God's in the big deals of this life.
And be reminded that he's in the small everyday ordinary day in and day out living of this common life...
He knows and He cares far more than I can ever truly imagine.
Enough to touch the pieces of me that were hurting the most and whisper in his gentle way into the deepest parts of me... He knew my biggest wildest dream today was to have renewed confidence in the crazy homeschooling journey we are on...
He saw my deepest need and met it.
Just like that.



2 comments:

  1. What a blessing to find encouragement and strength in those beautiful words from our Father to you...just when you needed them. God is good. I hope next week is better...and fun...and silly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen and amen. So often He meets me on my knees.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover