Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Another Tutorial: Chalkboard from a painting


I've been pretty crafty around here lately. My latest project was to turn a painting I bought at Goodwill into a framed chalkboard. Easy-peasy. No kidding!
I subscribe to the Nester Method of decorating: "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful."
Since laying the perfection to the side, I've gotten a lot more done around here.
Perfection me would still be shopping for that just right painting for mere pennies. Not so perfect me used my 20% off coupon at Goodwill on a whim and snatched up this wonderfulness you see below.
Plastic frame. Oil painting- with layers of paint raised up along the bottom- aka bumpy.
Old me would have walked away or at least tried to sand away the bumps.
Not so perfect me just grabbed the spray can.
Ah, liberation.

Here's what you need:
A framed painting
Your choice spray paint for frame
Chalkboard paint
chalk
paintbrushes, gloves, rags, drop cloth etc.


Bought this baby for $10.40. Its knicked, a corner is cracked and like I said- there's bumps.
I didn't even bat an eyelash puttin' it in my cart.


No, I didn't prime it. But I did buy one of those nifty attachments that makes it sooooo much easier to keep on spray painting. No hand cramps!


Step 1: Spray paint your frame. Don't worry about getting paint on the canvas- your painting over it!
Step 2: Give it a second coat.


Step 3: Apply first coat of chalkboard paint.
Note: I used what I had on hand- which was a small can of Rustoleum Chalkboard Paint.
If I had my druthers- I'd have bought the chalkboard spray paint.
But this girl is on a budget.

Like my bracelet? You can get one just like it here.
Step 4: Use a smaller paint brush to get right up to the edges. I could have taped it off but I decided not to. This is me- embracing the not-so-perfect.
Don't worry about your brush strokes- they'll just about disappear after the next step.
Step 5: Paint a second coat of chalkboard paint.
Step 6: Let dry overnight.

Step 7: Cure your chalkboard by rubbing chalk all over it.
Let it sit awhile.

Step 8: Wipe the chalk off.
Step 9: Repeat steps 7 and 8
Drink coffee.
Step 10: Write on it!
Step 11: Hang it up where all can admire your handy work!


Total cost for this project: 
$10.40 for painting
$3.97 for spray paint (and I didn't use it all!)
chalkboard paint and brushes... just about free- had them on hand.
$.86 for tax
Spent $15.23

Painted Frame measures 27x24 inches


Linking up with:
Tip Junkie handmade projects


4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. So many things to keep in mind for when I have a bigger house!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy, I have two pretty inexpensive recipes for you. The first I found on pinterest and made it last night: chicken tacos. I took three large chicken breast halves, skinned and boned them. Then they go in a crockpot with 1 package of taco seasoning and 1 jar of salsa, cook on low all day. Then you take the breasts out, shred them, and mix them in the sauce. We have them on crunchy taco shells with lettuce, sour cream, and shredded cheese. My 16 year old loved them.
    Tonight we had a Paula Deen recipe called "tastes like lasagne soup". You can find it on foodnetwork.com. It was very good and easily made 8 servings. We also made Mark Bittman's "no knead bread" to go with it.
    Wow grocery prices are really going up. I am constantly on the look out for recipes that don't cost a lot and my family will enjoy. We have been making a lot of pasta dishes this winter (a lot from Carmine's restaurant cookbook), so far all really good with a lot of leftovers. My 16 year old daughter likes to eat dinner leftovers for breakfast before school.
    I hope you and your family are doing well! Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne- thanks for the recipes! I'm so tryin' those tacos! I'm gonna check out that "no knead" bread too! Thank you so much for sharing with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only do I want, want, WANT to do this...I'm actually GOING to do it! Thanks so much for the step by step. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover