Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Squash it

Sharing a new recipe I started using this fall... It originates from here:


And here it is with my bitty tweaking.

Hearty Squash Casserole
1 cup yellow squash, shredded {or sub in same amount of zucchini}
photo from www.extension.umn.edu
2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 can (14.8 oz) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano, drained (reserve juice*)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 boxed chicken-flavored stuffing mix
1 1/2 pounds ground beef, browned and drained
2  cans Cream of Mushroom soup
1 1/3 cup water *
*(pour drained juice from diced tomatoes into measuring cup first then add water to make 1 1/3 cups)

Grease a 3 1/2 quart casserole dish (Note: I use my 9x13 stoneware baker and I don't grease it). Layer squash, potatoes, onion and tomatoes in dish. In a bowl, fork together melted butter and stuffing then spoon over tomatoes in dish. In another bowl, mix ground beef, soup and water together; spoon over stuffing mixture. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until bubbly and vegetables are tender.

I love that this recipe calls for shredded squash, which means I can cook this up when squash isn't in season fresh but is however, shredded and frozen in my freezer. Makes me wish I'd bought more of the stuff when they were selling is seriously cheap at the farmer's market. How could a frugal foodie like me not be shredded and freezing summer squash before this year? Gasp!

Note: The diced tomatoes  with basil, garlic and oregano is pricey. I bought Hunt's brand. I've learned to look for when my local stores are having a sale on Hunt's brand canned tomatoes and purchase three or four cans.
I haven't yet had the courage to try and figure out the right proportions of herbs to make this myself with regular diced tomatoes.

2 comments:

  1. Amy, this sounds so good! I'm definitely going to have to get lots of squash next summer. :) But I think there might be some at the grocery store anyway...we like cream of mushroom soup in casseroles around here. :)

    As far as the spices in the tomatoes go: I am a rather adventurous cook and I don't always conform to recipes. Plain diced tomatoes are MUCH cheaper than the seasoned kind; you could save money by just mixing in basil, oregano and garlic from your own pantry. My guess is that for this recipe, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon each of dried oregano and basil, and one clove of garlic minced finely (or, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder) would suffice nicely. Fear not! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy - thanks for what you shared in your comment! I just facebooked it. :) Have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover