Monday, January 23, 2012

Pinterest Fail & Success: Bread Baking

Last week was my first Pinterest fail.
I followed the directions to the letter for this blueberry bread


I questioned the recipe as I was making it as the directions were totally backwards for how I am use to making bread in my bread machine. Dry ingredients sifted together? With the yeast? And added first?
Wha???
I also had to make a guess on what size loaf it made as the recipe didn't specify.
Anyhoo- the recipe was a big fat bomb.
It didn't really rise or mix thoroughly. There was about a quarter inch of flour on the entire bottom of the loaf.
I cut into it trying to salvage some of it- doughy. Really doughy.
Ugh.
Considering all the wonderful stuff I've made, cooked and baked via Pinterest, I was due for a misstep.
However- I didn't give up.
I liked this recipe for Cinnamon Raisin Bread as it was less involved and had less ingredients than the one in my bread machine booklet


Success!
This recipe is sooooo super yummy.
I made it the first time with raisins. The second and third times I've made it with cranberries. That means in the last 5 days, I've made this bread 3 times. We love it. Our dear sweet friends love it and my parents love it. [Took a loaf to our friends and we all gobbled it up, took it to share at my parents last nite and we ate 2/3 of the loaf!]
We had it for breakfast this morning- toasted and lightly buttered. Delicious!
I haven't broken down the cost on it yet but I do know that a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread at the store isn't cheap so I'm pretty confident that mine comes in under their price.
Cinnamon Cranberry Bread
1cup water
3 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp butter or margarine, softened
3 cups Bread flour
2 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
3/4 cup dried cranberries or Craisins

Place ingredients in bread machine in order listed except for cranberries. Add cranberries as recommended by bread machine manufacturer (look up "add-ins"). My machine has a handy little compartment for adding "extras" and so I don't need to listen for a beep or time it for my add-ins.
Set your bread machine for sweet or basic/white cycle or if you've got a wonderful machine like mine- set it for fruit/nut bread. Use Medium or Light crust color.
When machine is done- remove baked bread from pan and cool on wire rack.
This is my bread machine:




If you're like my family- you'll let it cool a little bit and then slice it up for some warm baked yumminess.
This is a wonderful breakfast bread too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover