Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pin-Spired!

Had a seriously fun project day yesterday afternoon with my girls.
First we took a trip to Hobby Lobby- armed with a 40% off coupon and Pinterest ideas swirling in my head. I managed to keep myself under control and walk away from HL having spent under $15.00.
That's a seriously good deal. Especially when I think of all I did with $11 and some change.
Here are my Pin-sperations:



And this one-



At Hobby Lobby I purchased:
2-pack 16x20 canvases for $7.99
1 package 4 inch red vinyl stick on letters [brand: Headline Sign] $ 3.99
{note: vinyl letters were found with stencils down the last art supply aisle and I picked 4" because of the price, the size and the number of letters in the package matched up with what I needed... such as 3 "L"s}
2 containers Ceramcoat Acrylic Paint in North Sea for $1.27 each
I used my 40% off coupon on the canvases [making them $4.49- that's only $2.25 each!]
With tax my total was $11.68
Mod-podging paper

Add caption

Mod-podging again

waiting for mod-podge to dry

Doesn't look too bad with the red letters even!

I started using a ruler to line the letters up and then I gave up and just eye-balled them. It was quicker for this impatient crafter and I think it looks pretty good.

2 coats of North Sea- dry between coats
eventually these canvases will hang above the piano

Pin It
Also needed for this project-- stuff I had on hand:
paint brushes
Mod-podge
Pages from old books
Krylon Matte Finish Spray

{side note for It is Well Canvases- I think I'm going to wipe a brown glaze over it all to "antique" it a bit and soften the look of it.}

Once my creative juices get flowing it's hard to stop... and I just loved the paint color I picked out...
So much so that I took down the shelf in the living room and decided to paint it too.


And- I've seen this on Pinterest and decided I too wanted to display My Word of the Year.



I had the 5x7 canvas already in my craft box and I used scrapbooking alphabet stickers I had on hand. And more of that lovely North Sea colored paint.... plus mod-podging on more book pages

I'm liking that pop of red next to the Word....

About the book pages: I bought a few old Readers Digest Condensed Books at Goodwill with the idea of using the really cool book covers for homemade journals... So glad I saved the pages too- nice and old and discolored... All I did was use an exacto-knife to carefully cut the cover and then again to cut out a few pages...
Aren't those awesome book covers...

7 comments:

  1. What beautiful and inspiring crafts! I love what you did; thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pin-spirations! 'It Is Well With My Soul' is one of my favorite hymns!
    I'm addicted to Pinterest!

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an inspiring idea! Perfect for a winter day inside. Your finished product is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so beautiful! I really want to make the first one! Thank you! Guess I need to finally get Pinterest-ed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy, the stick on vinyl letters were easy to remove without removing any of the book pages? Many thanks, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda-
      Great Question! I was very careful on how I lifted the letters up and took my time pulling gently. They came up off the book pages nicely. I think adding the coat of mod podge to the tops of the book pages probably helped with this.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover