Monday, January 16, 2012

One Word.... Trust

Trust.
My word of the year.
I first wrote about it here.
The word first jumped out at me and pretty much hit me upside the head when I started reading this book




I am still reading this book. Its meaty. I gotta take my time and chew slowly.

I have grown up a "good girl" and I've lived long a life that thought it was all about pleasing Jesus the most.
Let me share this right from my green highlights on page 64:
"Given the choice to please God or to trust God, good girls become conflicted. We know we're supposed to trust God, but trust is so intangible. It almost seems passive in the face of all there is to do."
That is part of what hits me upside the head- I'm a "do-er". Always gotta be doing something. I wanna be Mary sitting at Jesus' feet and soaking it in but I know I'm Martha working her bum off in the kitchen and tsking and stewing about her sister...
Going on to page 65: "Choosing to  please God sounds right at first, but it so often leads to a performing life, a girl trying to become good, a lean-on-myself theology. If I am trying to please God, it is difficult to trust God. But when I trust God, pleasing him is automatic. Anything we do to get life and identity outside of Christ is an idol, even service to Christ."

Trust. Working to let go of my Martha-ness and embrace the Mary in me. To let go of the pleasing and BE STILL in His presence. To Trust Him with this year and all that it will or won't bring. To trust Him with our family plans for this year as big, huge, small and itty bitty as they may be (and there are some super big ones!).
To trust Him to work things out... to not jump ahead of Him but be the Christ-follower I am meant to be.

Answer this question: 
Does the God who lavishly provides you with his own presence, his Holy Spirit,
working things in your lives you could never do for yourselves,
does he do these things because of your strenuous moral striving
or because you trust him to do them in you? 
Don't these things happen among you just as they happened with Abraham? 
He believed God, and that act of belief was turned into a life that
was right with God.
Galatians 3:4-6
It seems so simple... Trust.
Already I am learning. There is real freedom in trusting God with my ordinary every day life. New contentment in this common life I lead... new hope purposing to grow as my trust grows my faith and plants seeds of amazing zinging hope....
Wow.
And just in case... 'cuz I'm that type of girl...
I've got this verse tucked in my back pocket- a quick reminder:


Do your best, prepare for the worst
then trust God to bring victory.
Proverbs 21:31






2 comments:

  1. "When I trust God, pleasing him is automatic."
    I literally just breathed a sigh of relief when I read this. I'm like you: I try so hard to be a pleaser (to God, my husband, others) that I find it hard to trust God or my husband. Whew--pleasing comes as a result of trusting! Of course! I will probably be blogging about this...

    THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading that book, too! I enjoyed your post :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover