Monday, January 23, 2012

No do-ing... Be Still. Pray.

If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father.
He loves to help.
You'll get his help, and won't be condescended
to when you ask for it.
Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought.
People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves.
Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way,
adrift at sea, keeping all your options open. 
James 1:5

The wind is battering against the house.
It rattles and howls something fierce tonight.
I just got off the phone with one of my closest friends and the news isn't good.
She's been in Colorado for a week- packed up all five kids and hit the road heading to her family.
Because her brother is in the hospital with pneumonia complicated by epilepsy and a host of other issues.
It has been a roller coaster of days... bad days, up days followed by steady and then dipping way, way down.
Things were looking better... and now they are not.
They weened him off his meds and  the ventilator by Saturday but he never woke up. Not once. His oxygen dipped way down today and he is now 100% vent dependent. They are not sure if it is because of brain damage due to lack of oxygen or not. The doctors are now think he has ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome) that sometimes happens after a trauma or severe illness. This is a very serious condition, often fatal. She doesn't know what to do now. He could potentially be on the vent for a long time. She doesn't know if she should come home & regroup or stay until they know more. She is asking for prayers of wisdom in making decisions over the next few days. She is physically & emotionally exhausted.
Her dear hubby is here at home- working and waiting. Decisions need to be made and she is struggling.
I tell her we are so sorry to hear this.
I tell her we are praying.
Mightily.
I know He knows.
I pray for clarity for my friend, for peace and grace to rain down on her.
Why is it that with praying being our best and biggest option, I still feel helpless.... sitting here wishing there was something I could do.
Do.
I'm a do-er.
I'm a fixer.
And once again, I've come up against something that I can't do anything about.
Something I can't fix.
God gently nudges me that it isn't up to me. That this battle isn't mine to fight.
That all He asks is for me to be still and allow Him to step in.
Do not be afraid. 
Stand firm 
and you will see the deliverance
the LORD will bring you today... 
The LORD will fight for you; 
you need only to be still.
Exodus 14:13a & 14
I wear that verse in a heart-shaped prayer locket around my neck as a reminder.
Wearing it for four years now... it is a reminder that God still wants for me.
God wants me to be still.
He's in charge.
So I pray.
It is the best and biggest option.

Won't you join me?

1 comment:

  1. Your dear friend is in my prayers! My MIL had ARDS several years ago. She survived and went home to live a life unhampered by other medical difficulties for several years. She is still alive but now hampered by additional issues. My (much younger) brother had ARDS among a host of other issues and he passed away after several months of struggling valiantly (but not directly from the ARDS). Doctors think they are so wise, but God's plan for us is what matters in the end. I will keep your friend and her situation in my heart & prayers and that God's peace will surround them all.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover