Thursday, December 22, 2011

Spoonbread- A must on the menu here


Speaking of comfort food… when I married into Mr. Steady’s family, I got my hands on some awesome family recipes. Comfort food at its finest.
This one is my absolute favorite and most requested… my mama-in-law’s spoonbread. Lots of others in the family make it but Mr. Steady says he’s partial to mine. Now, that’s a good man.
Short story to go with this recipe and in conjunction with my good man…. When his mama gave me the recipe I was a young blushing bride just learning to cook more than a simple boxed mac-n-cheese. I knew I was getting comfort food recipe gold handed to me and that I would treasure it greatly. I immediately filed it in my spiffy new recipe box under “Breads and Rolls”. Then one day, Mr. Steady was looking for the recipe and couldn’t find it. At first I panicked but there it was right where I had left it. He wanted to know why I had filed it under ‘bread’ and I explained that it said spoon “BREAD” and wasn’t it obvious? He explained to this novice cook that a spoonbread is actually a side dish and should go under that category. He re-filed it. I moved it back. This went on for only a couple of times until I didn’t get a chance to put it back under ‘Bread’ after he’d moved it again and he went hunting for it- looking immediately under “Breads”.
And so there it has stayed ever after. And I smile each time I pull it out.
Rosemary’s Spoonbread
2 eggs, beaten
1 package corn muffin mix
1 stick melted butter
1 cup sour cream
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can creamed corn
8 oz. shredded cheese (I generally use Colby-jack or Cheddar)
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees and mix together all ingredients except the cheese. Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 pan and bake for 35 minutes. Cover with shredded cheese and back for 10 minutes more.

This recipe is simply a ‘must’ at every family gathering and every big family meal… which means you’ll always find it on our table every Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover