Thursday, October 13, 2011

When life seems most uncomfortable

This was my devotion today.... so very good I had to share.
Did you read it? Good stuff, right?

The following lines resonated within me:
"It may be that the most important thing you could do is also one of the most unnatural things you could ever imagine doing: Giving thanks to God, praising and worshiping Him. Regardless of your circumstances.
Worship in its truest form ascribes and acknowledges that the truth is about God. Worship reminds us of who He is and who we aren't. He alone is God. He is in control. He is the just God, the compassionate and loving God. He knows everything. He knows our condition.
God-centered worship ultimately comforts us because it reminds us of the truth about life. It brings hope.
When life seems most uncomfortable, worship God."

It resonates because it was when I stumbled upon Ann's blog A Holy Experience five years ago that I got to thinking about hard thankfuls and began to seek the hidden gratitude deep inside the hard, difficult stuff.
When we were struggling mightily with our finances and were facing hard times- a friend encouraged me to the point of almost dragging me to watch Facing The Giants. So much of that movie spoke straight to my heart but one of the biggest pieces was when a female character was facing a hard, difficult, mind-numbing disappointment that rocked her world... she said, "No matter what, I will praise You."
Then and there I made the decision that no matter what I came up against I would praise Him and I would look for the gratefuls in the midst of the disasters. I began to keep my list. I began to learn to worship in the midst of life...
and God opened my eyes to how overly abundant my blessings truly are and how He is continually there in the midst of the bad as well as the good; He is constant and consistent even when my worship is neither.
That in and of itself is amazing.
One thing has become crystal clear to me: the more I praise Him, the more I find to praise Him about. The more I look for the hard thankfuls, the easier they are to find. It has changed my outlook dramatically. I have learned to find joy no matter what my circumstances are because my circumstances don't dictate my Joy-
My God does.

I encourage you today, in the midst of your hard stuff, to find one little thing to thank Him for...
document it- write it down, take a picture.
Most importantly- Remember and Rejoice. And do it again tomorrow.
And the next day.
And the next.
Worship Him.
Daily.
Worship reminds us of who He is and who we aren't.
It ultimately comforts and brings us hope.
Who doesn't want some of that?


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover