Friday, September 2, 2011

Homeschool Mothers Journal: Back at it again



In my life this week…
We started school!
And wouldn’t you know it- the second day we already had a hiccup… such is life. We drove my mama up to my brother-in-law’s car repair shop to drop off her car and then, of course, we just had to go see my sweet sis and darling niece Ree.  It worked well though- since it was our first week back our schedule isn’t tothetop full and we had school mostly done by noon that day.
In our homeschool this week…
As I stated- we started back this week. Had a beyond wonderful family back-to-school nite on Monday to kick the year off right and a good start on our first day with a special breakfast and first day photo session.
We jumped right in to the thick of things with three science experiments plus spelling and math tests. Whew! For the first time every- All three kiddos are studying the same time period (Middle Ages) and using some of the same resources. The girls are helping me by taking turns reading different books aloud, which means I can listen and fold laundry at the same time. We studied Paul’s missionary journeys this week and had a great discussion with the kids filling in information they already knew.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
Have a special back to school tradition. My kids look forward to school starting because of our annual Back-to-School nite, as well as our first day of school notes and special breakfast.  The kids look at our traditions as a two day event (they love stuff that lasts and lasts) because of the dinner the night before and breakfast that morning.  I encourage everyone to do something special to mark that first day back.
My favorite thing this week was…
The Daddy Blessing on Monday night. I love hearing Mr. Steady praise and bless our children. How he looks them in the eye, takes their face in his hands and tells them how much he loves them, how he prays over them with his voice breaking- then follows it up with a hug and a kiss. Each year he bends less and less to kiss the tops of their heads…

Things I’m working on…
Their schedules- I’ve got the first two weeks completely done- including the necessary copied papers, but I like to have six to nine weeks done at a time. [My very first year I sat down and scheduled out the entire year and then found myself constantly changing it- now I just do it in blocks of weeks.] I’m also finishing up my notes for my Michigan History class for our homeschool group, making a Do You Know Michigan quiz, creating a homework schedule for that class and working on the group devotions for the month of September- which I’m in charge of…
Not to mention the non-homeschool stuff- like writing the Sunday School board agenda for next week’s meeting, menu planning (and revamping my recipe binder) and tweaking my home management binder.
It does seem like a lot but it really isn’t as I’ve been working on all this in bits and pieces, fits and starts for a few weeks.
I’m grateful for…
A great start to a new school year. The simple fact that we are able to homeschool. Coffee in copious amounts. A frivolous book to read that takes me away from it all when I need to. Two computers- with both girls using Teaching Textbooks this is a major plus.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
We stumbled on a cool site that shows an interactive map of the Apostle Paul's missionary journeys-  This is his 3rd journey
And a photo from our first day of school- They'll hold still for a little bit and then they get silly... this is their totem pole pose:



Sorry for the white highlighting on this post. I just don't wanna go back and fix it...

4 comments:

  1. I love your idea of listening to children's reading in the evening while folding laundry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a back to school special breakfast and photo op. I need to do that when we start our own new homeschool year on Sept. 6th. Loving your blog header to! There is much wisdom in loving the simple, contented common life and i am right there with you. stopping by from a HMJ!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I love your back-to-school traditions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very sweet back to school traditions! so happy you are blessed with a sweet hubby- mine is a rock and the most amazing man- isn't God smart?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover