Friday, September 2, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Rest



Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion?
Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life.
I'll show you how to take a real rest.
Walk with me and work with me- 
watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.
I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. 
Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.
Matthew 11:28-30

Its not often that I memorize from the Message version- as verses are so lengthy, but this one just plain out spoke to me. I think I mess up when it comes to actually putting action to this verb... 
I mistakeningly think that rest equals sleep and therefore only do it at night.
Rest is so much more. It's taking a time out from what you are doing- especially if what you are doing is wearing/stressing you out. Its getting away to be quiet, to simply be and not "do" anything...

It's getting away with Jesus- learning from Him these unforced rhythms of grace. Rhythms that I don't think you can really learn if you are tired and worn-out.
Rest is stopping all that crazy activity and just simply quieting yourself- it is in those moments when we can really hear Him whispering to us, teaching us these unforced rhythms...
I want more of that- I NEED more of that...
Grace and it's rhythms have been percolating inside me a lot these last few weeks which has meant I have slowed down and found rest.
And I gotta tell you- it's pretty spectacularly wonderful to do.





1 comment:

  1. great reminder. life has been crazy for us lately and I always find when I stop and spend time with the Lord I feel at peace...rested...as you so beautifully put in your post. I think of the passage in Luke where Jesus tells Martha, "Martha, Martha you are worried and upset about many things. Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken away from her." Mary was sitting at Jesus' feet...resting. Thanks for this reminder. And thanks for stopping by my little blog!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover