Saturday, July 23, 2011

Wowey Zowey Zucchini!

Just a couple of years ago I finally found my love of zucchini... and with it a taste for squash in general. I've always loved chocolate zucchini bread but admit that any squash, save for pumpkin pie, was not on my foodie vocabulary. Oh what I have missed over the years!
My children love squash... especially battered and fried disks (what isn't good when it's battered and fried?) and my breaded parmesan zucchini sticks (recipe coming soon)...
So I am embarking on trying a new zucchini recipe-- a casserole or you could term it a pie if you wish...


Wowey Zowey Zucchini Casserole
2 cans refrigerated crescent roll dough {OR 9 inch deep pie crust}
4 cups zucchini and/or squash, sliced (I find 2 med. sized zucchini & one med. yellow squash to be the perfect amount)
1 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large saucepan, saute butter, onion nd zucchini until tender. Stir in dry seasonings and continue to simmer on low. Meanwhile- in a large bowl, combine eggs and cheese. Stir this mixture into the saucepan of zucchini and continue to simmer on low. Flatten crescent roll dough triangles into the bottom of glass pie dish and press seams together to form a "pie crust".
Spread mustard over crescent roll pie crust and top with  zucchini mixture.
Bake for 20 minutes.

This is an incredibly frugal dish to make... the zukes are from friends, onions and herbs from the garden...
We'll be having it with sausage but I believe this dish could serve as the main for a meatless meal. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Zucchini soup ~ Sr. Franziska OSB St. Emma's, Greensburgh, PA

    4 1/2 cup grated zucchini
    1/3 cup chopped onions
    3 bouillon cubes beef or CHICKEN (i use chicken)
    2 cup water
    cook all the above ingredients together in a pot.

    flour mixture
    1/2 cup margarine (i use butter)
    1/4 cup flour
    2 cup milk
    salt and pepper to taste
    in sauce pan, melt margarine/butter, stir in flour until mixture is smooth. add milk and cook until thick, stirring constantly. slowly add flour mixture to zucchini and heat. grated cheese may be placed on top.

    Psalm 119:103 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Yum! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm gonna put this on my menu list!
    Thanks bunches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could I make this without a crust?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't personally done this but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Give it a go and let me know how it turns out! Enjoy!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover