Friday, July 1, 2011

5 Minute Friday: Welcome

Ah, here's my second try at Gypsy Mama's 5 Minute Friday...
Gypsy Mama puts out a word and all who join set their timer for five minutes and type what comes right off the top of their head… no editing (except for spelling 'cause I just can't help but do that)… when 5 minutes is up- you take what you wrote and post it then link to Gypsy Mama.



Today's Prompt: Welcome...
Go 
to live a life that welcomes others...
This is not always easy. I'm good at welcoming those who welcome me. I'm good at welcoming those I like and who like me...
There are times when that can be a very small group of people.
I haven't always been welcoming to our neighbors, some with good reason (ie the guy who was dealing drugs next door). Once I had a neighbor lady call me a couple of unrepeatable names... because she saw me as standoffish.
Which I was.
Because she scared me... yes, she did.
I should also mention that we have some wonderful neighbors too that have welcomed us... the older couple who came over and introduced themselves just after we moved in... and when the gentleman saw us raking our huge lawn (such a daunting task) he brought over his mega-big push behind leaf blower... and told us to borrow it whenever. Over the years he made sure we borrowed lots of useful things and they have always had an open door policy for their pool for our family.
Then the couple across the street... finally met her when she came over to sell me Avon... we developed a wonderful friendship between our families and through that friendship we were able to invite them to church... long story short both our families homeschool, both our families attend the same church (all started because Mr. Steady asked Mr. Neighbor if he'd like to play softball with our church team) and their son spends loads of time over here having fun, fun, fun with my kiddos... we even went on vacation together a couple of times... once camping... that says a lot that we can still be friends after camping together!
I have worked hard to overcome my "unwelcomeness"... Being neighborly with the neighbors comes easy to Mr. Steady... not so much to me. I'm still overcoming it... I work to follow his lead.
Stop
[finished this sentence as timer went off] 
And listen to HIS lead too... because Jesus pretty much said we need to welcome everyone... because we're all neighbors.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! Such a reminder of the fruit that can come from being welcoming! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What makes it so easy for 'Mr.Steady' or 'the Farmer' to be open and welcoming, I'd rather hide in the house or just wave from the driveway. You expressed it well, out of obedience 'because we're all neighbors'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard for me to be welcoming with strangers not because I don't want to, but just out of shyness. Your post is a reminder that there is value in overcoming shyness- sometimes, you end up with a wonderful friendship.
    Stopping by from The Gypsy Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So honest! I can relate so well to what you wrote here. It is such a challenge to overcome our perceptions of others (and theirs of us) and simply welcome unabashedly. I'm grateful you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I struggle with the welcoming of strangers, so your honesty really resonates with me. My socially selective tendency is something the Lord keeps reminding me needs to change--today He used your post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen a lot of the five-minute posts from Lisa Jo. I don't participate, I read, but don't comment, because I know from talking to her that what she does there is really for women, and I – well I – I'm not Mr. Steady – but I am a mister. I think it's a good thing by the way, that you have a Mr. Steady – and I hearted this 5 min. writing. Thank you Amy, and God bless you and all of yours this day.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover