Friday, June 17, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal- Summer #3... should I say sorry for such a boring title?

June 17th
In my life this week…
Whew… we managed to slow life down a teensy tiny bit this week… checked a couple of tall stacks of books out from the library and have been making our way thru them and eating strawberries…. Books and strawberries that’s our two big things this week… Marking stuff off our Summer Bucket List has been fun… making jam, signing up for summer reading, watching a softball game, seeing a parade…
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
I had a couple of meetings at church this week. We went to the library to sign up for summer reading… 2nd in line to sign up and then it took us another hour to get out of there—kids looking for certain books and the line growing and growing as they meander and the poor library with only on computer for check-out… must admit I was a bit cranky towards the end. We watched Daddy and PawPaw and friends play softball, celebrated the birthday of a little friend with root beer floats, went into town for the Water Festival parade, played a mean game o’ kickball with our friends afterwards… laughing like loons… Farmer’s Market, post office and library (again) today… Tomorrow is a tractor pull for the men and ½ off flower shopping for the ladies in the morning and then off to hit a bunch of graduation open houses… and if at all possible we’ll finish up with the Water Festival fireworks display

My favorite thing this week was…
Making strawberry freezer jam with Ms. Books. I haven’t made freezer jam since she was a tot… in fact this is only my second ever time making freezer jam… and it was fun… tons of fun. We’re definitely going to do it again.
And making strawberry bread with Sassafras and a little friend… funny how both my favorite things revolve around food this week… could throw in the birthday root beer floats here too… that was fun… and all of it delicious!
Things I’m working on…
Laying out frame work for Mr. Conductor’s schedule for next school year, trying to find a spelling program for Sassafras and getting horridly addicted to Pinning… Plus putting together Father’s Day gifts… must not forget that…
I’m reading…
Signed up with the kiddos for summer reading at the library... Didn't know there was a program for adults... and now I'm reading this book by Kim Vogel Sawyer Where Willows Grow
... I've read her before and really like her... for some reason- perhaps its just the week I'm having... but I'm having a hard time getting into it... too bad blog reading doesn't count for the library program... been doing quite a bit of that!
And I'm still reading this... picking it up and reading a chapter here and there... probably should lay off the M&Ms when I'm reading it though.... 



I’m cooking…
This delicious strawberry bread—the recipe makes two loaves. The kids are already asking for me to make it again.  I’m baking a German chocolate cake and making a double batch of my Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes for our family Father’s Day dinner… and homemade pizza is on the menu for tonight.

I’m praying for…
God’s will… clarity… rest...

Questions/thoughts I have…
I loved Loved LOVED SpellWell for Sassafras... but she finished the program this year... what to do, what to do for spelling next year???? Not Sequential Spelling... already did that... we absolutely loved the fun workbook style of Spellwell... and want more of it...
Anybody got any tips? Spelling for a 6th grader.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Mr. Steady gets up awful, awful early to go to work every. single. week day.
We do not get up with Mr. Steady... we sleep. We hurry up made this the other nite and left it out on the table for him to find the next morning before going to work...


2 comments:

  1. Ahhh...it is strawberry season! We're still waiting another week for our fields to open. Our freezer jam stash is down to about zero. A Summer Bucket List...what a great idea. We just might have to start one ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading Made to Crave too! Visiting from HMJ.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover