Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Crockpot Love: Country Chicken & Dumplings-- Updated!

I love me my crockpot in any kind of weather…. However, I think summer is when I can’t live without it most… when cooking in the kitchen it too hot, hot, hot… I am so very thankful for my two crockpots… in fact, I’m contemplating purchasing a third (slightly smaller) one…
Here’s a wonderful simple and frugal recipe that I’m cooking up tomorrow for supper…


Country Chicken & Dumplings
(tweaked from Gooseberry Patch’s Dinners on a Dime)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 16 oz. bag frozen green beans
2/3 cup diced red pepper
2 tbsp. butter, chunked
1 onion, finely diced
1 tubes refrigerated biscuits, torn

Place chicken, soup, beans, pepper, butter and onion in a slow cooker; add enough water to cover. Cover and cook on high setting for 4 hours. Add biscuits to slow cooker; gently push biscuits into cooking liquid. Cover and continue cooking for about 1 ½ hours, until biscuits are done in the center.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side Note: I like to add an itty bit of garlic salt and a dash of garden seasoning (purchased from my favorite, local Amish country store) to punch it up a bit.
UPDATED: The original recipe omits the green beans and red pepper but I felt it needed something more- flavor and color wise. I find this to be a great combination of color and flavor- a whole meal right there in the crockpot! Sometimes I serve a tossed salad on the side and other times we don't have any sides.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover