Friday, May 6, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal #2

Homeschool Mother’s Journal
Week of May 2-6

In my life this week…
School, helping family, small group study, massage therapy…. a much welcomed evening with friends and good food... Sneaking bits of time to read a couple of good books I inter-loaned from the library.
Attempting to keep myself from melting down into a puddle of goo as I try to balance an overloaded schedule that's already fried my brain.

In our homeschool this week…
Continuing to wind our schooling down. Sassafras has completed her science (Apologia’s Zoology 1). Ms. Books has finished her character study and is down to her last two science modules. Putting together a list of curriculum books to put up for sale so that I can buy more school books…. And oh the paperwork of grading… I’ve kept up on grading all their papers but haven’t recorded them in a few weeks… ugh.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
Homeschool group meets this week—Sassafras and Ms. Books read their young authors stories in the morning and an afternoon full of outdoor group play (thank you Lord for the sunshine!). The kids were excited to spend a day with their friends… and I second that—these homeschool mamas in my group are very dear to me. I treasure their friendships greatly and truly needed a fun day with lots of time to chat.

My favorite thing this week was…
Our Ancient Roman Meal… We’ve had 4 theme dinners this year: Ancient Egyptian, Jewish, Greek and this one… A combination of better food choices and the girl’s prior experience with cooking has made each dinner a bit better than the one before… This one was my favorite—sitting on the floor on pillows around the coffee table, the girls sharing all they could remember about Ancient Roman meals, manners etc. Laughing when Ms. Books stated they only used knives and spoons as she was sitting there holding a fork….
Our Roman Meal
What’s working/not working for us…
Working- the end of school year schedule— we’ve finished up some of our studies so our schedules are not as full… which is good because we are all ready to be finished and lots of other things are happening around here...
Not Working- Ms. Books’ reader- Ben Hur. She just can’t get into it… I looked it over- Ugh- I can see why. Tabled for summer reading…. If we get to it. Good to know it’s not the end of the world if we never read it. Ever.
Also Not Working Well- This mama... my attitude needs adjusting and I feel like I'm getting behinder and behinder... I can't seem to accomplish all the "stuff" on my lists and there really isn't anything I can put off or move or ask someone else to do... I'm crying out to God and taking each day as it comes as next week is going to be just as full and crazy as this one... worse if I can't manage to get a handle on myself...

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
Do I really want to have Sassafras do Teaching Textbooks 7 next year when I’ve already got everything for Horizons 6?
Yes, I’m second guessing myself- mostly because it’s a co$tly change… So I’m thinking if I sell the books from Mr. Conductor’s curriculum for the last two years: [WinterPromise] Hideaways in History (from last year), Animals & The Worlds (this year) maybe I can scrape up most of the money needed to buy the new math books....

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
You Wouldn’t Want to be a Roman Gladiator…. Super interesting website
We were introduced to the You Wouldn’t Want to be…” books during our schooling last year and find them to be quite fun and informing reading. A few of the books are free web-books, this is one of them.

Also this one: Mr. Conductor is studying Coral Reefs and we enjoyed this short clip:




2 comments:

  1. Hi! I came over from THC. We used TT 7 with my 7th grader this year and it was wonderful. Worth every penny. Very easy set up and very clear directions. I think you will be happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We skipped reading Ben Hur and just watched the film, which was EXCELLENT! I'm wondering which curriculum you use..! :)

    Prayers for a better 'tude for you in the new week!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover