Friday, April 15, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal- Beginning

My Homeschool Mother’s Journal
Week of April 11-15

In my life this week…
Interesting. Trying to stay on task but the beautiful weather kept pulling me (and the kiddos) off course. Trying to make myself focus on wrapping up this school year first and ignore that gi-normous box of homeschooling goodness (in book form) that is for next school year… I moved the box from the corner of the schoolroom to our library in the hopes of out-of-sight out-of-mind… um, hasn’t quite worked- I’ve got two books for next year on my nightstand. What can I say? I love learning.

In our homeschool this week…
A couple of themed dinners: Civil War meals on Tuesday and a Greek Dinner on Thursday (cooked by the girls). This is the first year we stayed on track with incorporating themed meals into our routine and I’m so glad we did. It has most definitely been one of the kids highlights of the year… especially when I burned the dibs on Jewish Dinner nite last fall… that’s in the family history book now.

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
We took advantage of the weather and went on a couple family walks. Trip to the dentist for all 3 kids on Tuesday led to an adventure when we had a detour and mama decided to create her own detour… we didn’t get lost—we found an alternate route.

My favorite thing this week was…
Commemorating the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War … the kids planning some fun stuff into our schedule for that day. Music, books, videos, food.

What’s working/not working for us…
Working— dropping the scheduled read-alouds for our curriculums in favor of this family read-aloud Amon’s Adventure 
Not Working— Sassafras’s math… She isn’t grasping a couple of key concepts and I’ve run out of ideas on what to do different… Good thing her daddy has stepped in to help with this one. It has led us to looking for something different for next year- leaning heavily towards Teaching Textbooks 7.
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
How many weeks do we have left???

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Monarch Butterfly metamorphosis-- we watched this video to go along with Sassafras's Apologia Zoology 1 and Mr. Conductor's Animals and their Worlds studies:

6 comments:

  1. What did you have for your civil war meal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really like Teaching Textbooks. We are just starting with them this year and plan on staying with them for as long as they are working with the boys. I wish they started earlier for our daughters!!

    Hopping over from HSMJ. Have a great weekend.
    www.krazykuehnerdays.com
    Renita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amon's Adventure looks wonderful. I ordered it for the future for my two youngest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the comments.

    We've done Horizons Math all the way thru to Book 5 this year. We did thru 6 with our oldest and transitioned her to Teaching Textbooks- Algebra I this current school year. We like it very much (except for $$$). I am looking at Teaching Textbooks 7 for Sassafras.

    Amon's Adventure is amazing- you'll LOVE it!

    Our Civil War meal was a veggie soup and "hardtack" biscuits followed up by gingerbread cake with apple butter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great link; thanks for sharing! love your blog header...especially the photo of the blue eggs in the nest. Isn't it great that with homeschool we have the flexibility to allow our kids to be outside when the weather is this great instead of in a classroom; the world is thier classroom! I love that... stopping by from the HMJ. please stop by and say hello!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover