Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Meatless Meal without beans

Yesterday I was the guest speaker for the local MOPS group [Mothers of Preschoolers] the topic was "Discover Your Inner Chef". I spoke about menu planning as a budget and sanity saver, gave out some of my favorite recipes and mostly talked about how much I love the challenge of being a frugal foodie. And that's how I see it- as a fun challenge otherwise I'd flip out about the fact that I take $300 or less to feed a family of 5 for a month (including incidentals like toothpaste, shampoo, toilet paper, detergent and tissues and such....].
Which led me to thinking I should start sharing more of my favorite frugal meals here....
Which leads to this wonderful new recipe for a meatless meal. A meatless meal that is cheap and doesn't include beans.

Campbell's Macaroni and Cheese
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. mustard (as in the squirt out of the yellow bottle stuff)
Dash of pepper and perhaps another if you are so inclined
1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can French fried onions
Cook macaroni. Set oven to 400 degrees. In 1 1/2 quart casserole dish- combine soup, mustard, milk and pepper. Mix well. Stir in cooked macaroni and 1 1/2 cups of cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Stir. Top with onions and remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake for 1 minute more or until cheese is melted.
Serve with: steamed veggies or a nice greens salad or pickle spears....
If you gotta go with some meat- our favorite is to serve smoked sausage on the side.
Side note: you can omit the onions to save more money or sprinkle a handful of crushed up potato chips on top.... you know the ones at the bottom of the bag that you try to avoid eating because they're too small to pick up one by one with your fingers....

2 comments:

  1. Your meatless dish sounds delish,I am going to use this recipe and pass it on to my grandaughter as well. Thanks so much for sharing,please post more if you have them. Blessings jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, The recipe looks good. The way I see things, if the monarchy in Saudi Arabia gets overthrown, we will have $6 a gallon gas and sky high food prices. Time to grow extra in the garden.
    I know talking to very old-timers, they would tell me that in their growing up they usually only had meat on Sundays. They ate a lot of eggs, probably because they all had chickens, but meat was a rarity. Of course it was common to have 8 kids back then, too, so there was less to go around. Maybe we will be going back to those days.
    Lately I have been making eggs for dinner one week, then "breakfast" for dinner one night the next week. My kids seem to really like having pancakes or waffles for dinner a couple of times a month, and I do too. My husband will eat anything.
    Lynne in MD

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover