Wednesday, February 9, 2011

His Glorious Might for my itty bitty ache

Being strengthened with all power 
according to his glorious might 
so that you may have 
great endurance and patience....
~ Colossians 1:11

This is my first verse of this week's Colossians Project.
How like this God that loves me so-- that this would be the words He wants me to write on my heart and sketch in my mind this week.
I have struggled in little, small, mostly unseen ways and hid hurt this past week.
Carried around an ache I didn't wish to name and that no-naming seemed to seep into so very many things.
Then *snap* just like that my little hurt had to be set aside so that I might take on something else.
And be up to the challenge.
I set my small pains aside so that I could reach out to help someone I love with a much bigger, less managable pain. And found myself profoundly grateful to cancel the pity party I hadn't been quite aware I'd been painstakingly planning.
He plans- oh, how He plans. He knows and He plans and its all good.
Its all good.
Great endurance and patience....
Ah, it seems He is always trying to get me to not only understand but to live out those two words....
Knowing what they mean isn't enough-- you have to live in the midst of those words.
Endure.
Be patient.
Don't hide out from the pain but meet the challenge with God beside you.
Sometimes we are delivered from the fire and sometimes we are called to endure the fire and be delivered through the experience..... and from that endurance we develop patience.
Sometimes the fires are small little campfires and other times they are raging infernos.
And while I ponder this- I also think that sometimes we make a campfire out to be an inferno.
And other times something that starts out as a firestorm inferno will dampen down to an itty bitty campfire.
I think endurance and patience can be fire extinguishers.
At least thats the way its happened for me. And wonder of wonders the endurance and patience brought along a heap of grace.
Great grace.
And I was undone by His great grace- He with the Great Plan took a trial that has been a fiery furnace for me, a fire I've endured for three plus years..... He pulled me through it to the other side- it didn't happen in one momentous moment but in small ones that accumulated in the quiet until the fire was no longer surrounding me.
How just like Him to love me so.
And yet- I, who by His grace, had walked through that fiery furnace almost let myself be tripped up by a campfire. Its the small things that get you because you think you can take care of them on your own. Have you ever tried to put out a small fire and in the doing so only fanned the flames and made it bigger? For a moment I forgot the strength and power that only comes from his glorious might (that's the fire extinguisher!).
I am not capable on my own. I realize that I can trust, have faith and dig down deep for endurance and even patience when I'm facing a fiery furnace- crying out and leaning on Him.... but I don't put the same effort into a campfire..... I get it when it comes to enduring the big trials but I find myself whining and complaining in the midst of life's small campfire- hiccups.
And I forget that He's got great plans for me that include all the little incidentals. I get hung up on the word "great" and equate it with big, huge, gi-normous and gloss over the simple truth that He's a God of details and His plans are infinite and finite and intricate and that He wants to be the God of everything to me.
And so it was that He got a hold of me and gently reminded me that He cares about all the things I care about- right down to the smallest pains, the old pains that ache in little ways.
And this is when I learn a bit more about endurance and patience and what it means to hold on according to His glorious might.
And just in case you didn't know- His Glorious Might is HUGE!
GIGANTIC
ENORMOUS
STUPENDOUS
TREMENDOUS
and that might, that glorious might is in the smallest pieces too.
Tonight I am strengthened through this might and I am more than able to endure.... to which I whisper joyfully- "Thank you Lord for caring about my little pity-party hurts and pains. Thank you more for helping me see beyond them. For giving me a change of focus. For adding another layer of endurance. For teaching me a bit more about patience. Thank you for dumping great grace on my little ache."

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, I like your campfire pictures.
    I have a question for you (or Mr. Steady). What variety of green beans did you grow last year, and were they bush or pole beans? I remember you did really well with them.
    Have the two of you ever considered starting a super early garden with the floating row covers? I am thinking about starting lettuce early because prices are supposed to go up a lot in about 45 days due to the bad weather in Mexico. I am in zone 7. I don't really understand how to know when to start them early. I will see what I can find on the internet.
    Last year I grew some beets. I peeled them, cut them in large chunks, tossed them in olive oil, and roasted them. They were delicious. I just saw a news article about how beet juice (just beets put through a juicer) has the same effect in lowering blood pressure as bp medications.
    I have to watch my BP, so I am wanting to grow a lot more beets this year. They were really easy to grow last year, and I wish I grew more of them.
    I hope everything is going well for you,
    Lynne in MD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Lake Bush Beans from Park Seeds. We've discussed the floating row covers but have opted for a regular cold frame to start lettuce in.... mostly because its free except for the manual labor of building it. Mr. Steady's grandfather's rule of thumb was to always direct sow his lettuce and peas on March 17.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Amy. I'm further south than you are, and if you are seeding on March 17 I need to get going. It's interesting that you said March 17 because that's usually within a day or two or when our Ospreys come back. I don't know if you have Ospreys on Lake Michigan. The are smaller than a bald eagle, and they crash into the top of the water and grab swimming fish with their claws. You always know winter is over when you hear the Ospreys.
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this today. I am the same way, try to handle the little stuff on my own. This is a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover