Monday, November 29, 2010

How I am learning to do the right thing- no matter what

 Do the Right Thing….
I’ve been thinking a lot on this statement lately.
My Dad has taught me many great and wonderful things…. the 3 biggies being:

1. Love the LORD more than anything and anyone no matter what
2. Give 110% to whatever task you are doing no matter what
3. Do the right thing no matter what

No matter what….
Do the right thing- no matter what.
Even if you really, truly don’t want to….
Do it anyway.
Even if its painful
Do it anyway.
Even if it messes with your schedule/routine
Do it anyway.
Even if it costs you time
and money
Do it anyway.
Even if it gives you scars
Do it anyway.
….. I use to expect that there would always be rewards for doing the right thing no matter what…. And now, as an adult, I have found that at times doing the right thing doesn’t always mean things are going to turn out spectacular. Sometimes doing the right thing doesn’t change a situation at all.
And at others- doing the right thing gets you into trouble….
How can that happen?
And at other times…. Doing the right thing causes you more pain than you thought you could bear….
And yet…. Somehow we still survive….
My grandpa use to say, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”
Ugh.
I think of my dad and what we are facing right now in our family…. And I see doing the right thing no matter what lived out in front of me
I see and feel the pain
But underneith it all…. There is resilience and determination….
I watch him and my mother….
I watch my children and my husband as we also try to live this out….
And it begins to seep into me….
I thought I was doing the right thing out of daughter guilt…. I thought I was doing the right thing because…. Well, because that’s what he taught me- that I must do the right thing….
But now I see differently….
I do the right thing not for me, or him or her or them or us….
I do the right thing because HE asks me to…. Each and every moment of each and every day….
No matter what.

Obediently listen to God, Your God.
Keep all his commands that
I am giving you today.
Do the right thing in the eyes of God.
Deuteronomy 13:18 The Msg

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover