Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Breakfast Favorite of Mr. Steady's: Egg Casserole

Mr. Steady has requested my breakfast casserole for Father’s Day. I will prep it on Saturday… all the way up to the baking part then pop it in the oven Sunday morning.
I think everyone has their own version of this recipe… calling it Breakfast Casserole or egg bake or egg casserole. I love to use this recipe with day old bread. Mr. Steady has been getting some great deals on eggs lately at a little scratch & dent grocery down the road from where he works… another great reason to make this delicious breakfast.

Breakfast Casserole

1 lb. pork sausage, browned
6 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
8-10 slices day-old bread
½ tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1-1 ½ cup grated cheese (I mix sharp cheddar & Colby Jack)
1 cup mushrooms
½ cup chopped onions
1 cup green peppers
Oregano to taste

Tear bread up into pieces and mix with all other ingredients. Pour into a 9x13 pan and bake @ 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until done. Sprinkle with a bit more cheese to melt pretty on top. For added flair- make a criss-cross pattern on top with chive stalks.
If I have leftover bacon I will crumble some up with the extra cheese I put on top at the end of the baking.
Approximate cost: $6.25 and feeds a family of 5 a hearty breakfast plus enough leftover for the kiddos and mom to have for breakfast the next morning.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover