Monday, May 24, 2010

To Crave Quiet

Craving the Quietness…
God speaks in whispers
And I live a loud life.
That’s why it is so incredibly important for me to fit in quiet time…
Into my every day…
Into my morning, before my feet hit the floor—time for prayer and telling God, “Good Morning. I commit this day to you. Be in charge of my day...”
Into my afternoon, when I’m hard-pressed by the day’s pressures and in doubt of my own sanity, “Oh, Lord, meet me here, right now in the thick of it all… calm me, help me to refocus and prioritize…”
Into my evening, when the quiet is about to creep back in but the kids are running wild trying not to settle down for bed, “Oh, Lord, please help me put these kids to bed with loving arms and words, give us sweet sleep that comes quick… Thank you for my day and all that you have given me, the good things today, the bad things today, the easy things today, the hard things today… thank you Lord for each precious moment and how you grew me…”
My day is filled with arrow prayers that I shoot heavenward as my day progresses—prayers of thanksgiving, of worship, of pleas, of supplication, of confession… the stuff that every day, day in and day out living is made of that makes your heart and soul whisper… or even shout out to God because you simply must do so… your soul cannot help it.
But my soul is most fed in the Quiet…
This chosen time that I fill with prayer, devotions and bible study…
A conscious, committed daily act.
And when I miss this necessary quiet time—usually due to my own poor mismanagement of my time…
My day is completely off-kilter and usually heads south at a pretty rapid rate.
I had a simple revelation about this the other day… I realized that my children do not supersede my quiet time, well that is unless someone is bleeding…
There have been days when I’ve started out late and in an effort to catch up and get my day started… my morning quiet time is the first thing to go and then as the day gets further and further behind, well then my afternoon quiet time goes out the window too and so, as life goes, when the evening quiet time comes around… I’m too tired… and the vicious cycle goes ‘round and ‘round.
My revelation--- even if I am behind on starting my day, the worst possible thing I can do is let my quiet time slide…
The absolute worst possible thing I can do.
Instead it’s okay to tell the kiddos, “My quiet time is running late today. I’ll be with you in about 15 minutes.” I usually follow this up with some instruction about them getting started on dressing/their own devotion time/breakfast…
I’ve learned that it’s okay to let my children eat cold cereal even if it’s not on my menu plan, so that I may have my quiet time.
It’s okay if they don’t do what I asked them to do but instead run around the house like hooligans.
It’s okay to lock the bedroom door in order to finish quiet time without the hooligans bursting in…
I’ve learned the simple truth that even though I am starting my day later, I am starting it right- starting it with God and that in and of its self, usually makes my day run more smoothly than could possibly be expected otherwise.
I’ve learned that it’s not only okay, but perhaps necessary for my children to see me make my quiet time a priority…
Yes, even a priority over them.
They must see me stop in my tracks, no matter the hurry-scurry and force myself to put God first…
Otherwise what am I teaching them?
That God fits in your day only when it’s convenient for you?
Well, that puts a heavy dose of perspective on it doesn’t it?!
And so, it is better to start late or even be late than to have not spent time…
Being quiet.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover