Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Planning Days are here again

Planning days…

Plotting out next year’s homeschooling.
First came the seed catalogs. Page after page of glorious, glossy color… dreams of green, verdant gardens, large, plump produce.
And now…
Another set of catalogs…
My Favorites…
Homeschool Curriculum Catalogs.
Ah, I love the smell of fresh printed paper.
So I have snuck away when quiet moments have presented themselves with oodles of catalogy-goodness, armed with paper, pen, highlighter, post-its, paper clips and calculator.
Making my lists and checking them thrice…
Crunching the numbers and drooling over all those wonderful “extras”.
And narrowing it down to 2 lists.
The Order List
And
The Wish List.
I will be ordering from 3 different catalogs.
WinterPromise
Queen Homeschool
Christian Book Distributors
I am a lover of history and it seems I’ve passed down that passion to my children.
Our spine for next school year for the girls will be the history of the ancient world.
We will use WinterPromise’s Quest for the Ancient World- the 4/8 program with the Sr High add-ons.
Animals and their Worlds program for Mr. Conductor (more of a science and nature spine than history).
We’ll also use WinterPromise’s Language Arts programs 5 & 8 for the girls. I am putting together my own LA for Mr. Conductor.

Here’s a breakdown by child:

Ms. Books
History/Geography: WinterPromise Quest for Ancient Worlds
Language Arts: WinterPromise LA8 “Developing Your Storywriting”
Math: Teaching Textbooks Algebra I
Spelling: Sequential Spelling 5
Science: Apologia General Science
Health: Alpha Omega’s Lifepac High School Health
Character Study: Making Brothers & Sisters Best Friends
Poetry: Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Bible: Nazarene Youth Bible Quizzing- Study of the Book of John
Mr. Steady is putting together a Physical Education program for Ms. Books, she has a couple of projects she is working on the computer (that’s her computer class). She continues with our family art class with Mrs. H [an artist and neighbor to my parents, plus a retired art teacher].
Sassafras
History/Geography: WinterPromise Quest for Ancient Worlds
Language Arts: WinterPromise LA5 “Building Great Paragraphs”
Adding: Wordly Wise 3000 Book 5 and Queen Homeschool’s Language Lessons for the Secondary Child Vol. 1
Math: Horizons 5
Spelling: Sequential Spelling 4
Science: Apologia’s Flying Creatures on the 5th Day: Exploring Creation with Zoology I
Handwriting: Reason For Handwriting Book E
Computer: Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing
Character Study: not sure yet
Poetry: Emily Dickenson
Bible: Nazarene Children’s Bible Quizzing- Study of the Books I & II Samuel
Mr. Steady is putting together a Physical Education program for Sass and she also continues with our family art class with Mrs. H.
Mr. Conductor
Science/Nature Study: WinterPromise Animals & Their Worlds
Language Arts: Queen Homeschool’s Language Lessons for Little Ones Vol. 3
And Explode the Code 1 & 1 ½
Math: Horizons 1
Computer: different learning games
Handwriting: Reason For Handwriting Book A
Poetry: in his Language Lessons
Bible: Nazarene Children’s Bible Quizzing- Study of the Books I & II Samuel

Mr. Conductor may also do some of Sassafras’s science too- as he likes to listen in and participate when the mood strikes. He’ll probably participate in his Daddy’s phys. Ed program but truly- that boy is so incredibly active I’m not worried about exercise… he also is in our family art class with Mrs. H.
I am toying with the idea of adding foreign language again- we did Latin last year. It was interesting and a good jumping off point for my girls- especially great for understanding the roots of words. Sassafras took a beginner American Sign Language class in our homeschool group this past year and absolutely loved it… I am toying with the idea of going further with ASL but I’m not sure what I could use for a curriculum. Mr. Steady is also interested in the kids learning German (a large chunk of ancestry on our both sides).
So many choices…
So much good stuff I want my kiddos to learn…
And me too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover