Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Making my home a Haven: A place to start

Monica has a wonderful series going on right now under the heading:
Make Your Home A Haven.
Doesn’t that sound inviting?
And lovely?
The past few months my home has been a haven in the sense that it harbored and protected me through a fierce life storm
not in the sense that it is lovely, inviting and relaxing…
3-4 months of inactivity in the haven-making department has left it lacking in some ways…
Now the sun is shining more and I am feeling rejuvenated…
Plus the bathroom renovation project has really stirred my haven-making juices…
There are so many areas of haven-making that need my attention… hence the attraction to Monica’s series…
She has posted a few challenges for us… granted I am a day or two behind but getting started is half the battle.

Monica’s Haven Plan:
1. Refresh your spirit!
2. Do your morning routine.
3. Take time to plan.
4. What’s for dinner?
5. Project of the day

For Me: Tuesday
1. Refresh your spirit!


Psalm 90:17
This verse is one on a list that our homeschool group is praying over to be our theme verse for the next school year. There are others on the list but this is the one I keep coming back to. Perhaps it is because I am in Home-Haven mode and after the dark winterpast, I am understanding the need for God to prioritize my day and bless the work I am doing each day. My heart thrums at the thought of Him daily establishing the work of my hands…
I think of all the work these hands do day in and day out and I know this is a deep need…
He needs to establish my work…
May his favor rest upon me.

2. Do your morning routine.
~ Quiet Time
~ Shower
~ Give bathroom a once-over quick clean
~ Take laundry to laundry room & start first load
~ Breakfast and devotions with kids
~ Breakfast clean up
~ Reboot laundry
~ Start School
3. Take time to plan.
I am a planner. I am a list-maker. I check my planners (home and school) the night before so as to be best prepared for the coming day.
One big difference now--- as I start my day, I pray over my planners and ask God to help me prioritize my day. I speak to Him of my lists and all I feel I need to get done and then I ask Him to be in charge of it all and to help me not to fall prey to checking-off items and miss the importance of an ordinary day.

4. What’s for dinner?
I menu plan two to three weeks in advance, so this is normally a matter of checking the menu plan and thawing/prepping any needed items.
Tonight’s menu: Chicken crescent squares, broiled oregano tomatoes and Death By Chocolate for dessert. The dessert was a change in the menu plan, requested by the children and a yummy surprise for Mr. Steady.

5. Project of the day:
Today was homeschool group and errand running, so I spent a large chunk of the day away from home. However- I had two projects today: blessing my family with hospitality and showing hospitality to myself.
Blessing my family: a delicious dinner set on a pretty table, complete with candles and flowers plus the purchase of a few little fireworks to set off after dark.
Hospitality to myself: I spent some time taking pictures of things I love or that catch my interest and then fiddled with a few in photoshop [the verse photo above is a fiddle-diddled creation of mine from a picture taken last summer].
Interesting side note: I am learning to set perfectionism aside in my quest for simple hospitality- I didn’t have time to iron the table cloth but it didn’t stop me from using it. I didn’t use fancy dishes but color coordinated what we have…

Thank you Monica for spurring me on to creating a Haven in my home.

1 comment:

  1. Great job! I loved reading about your day!! What a beautiful table you set for dinner and yes, what a great verse to ponder. I pray over my to-do list frequently too. God knows what truly needs to be done each day!

    Thanks so much for participating! Hope your haven is blessed today because of your efforts.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover