Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Looking in my schoolroom...

In the Schoolroom…

Spurred on by Monica’s postings on Making My Home a Haven…
I tackled the schoolroom…
A much used room in our home and for some reason its also a clutter magnet…
Just look at this corner…

It’s only been in the last 10 months that this room was turned from a catch-all junk room into our wonderful learning center… and obviously it’s hard to give up one’s junky ways…
Here is the room last June… right before we emptied it and began the redo…

I don’t have a good shot of the whole room… I’m still trying to block that mess from my memory.
This is Mr. C playing Big Bad Giant destroying a castle that Mr. Steady and Ms. Books had made for her medieval history studies the school year previous…
You can see the piles upon piles of stuff in the background.
Here is the room emptied out- a close up of the window and the built in shelves and drawers along one wall… the built in is the color of dry mud, the walls were a dingy baby blue. This photo had to be lightened and so it makes it all look better than it was in actuality. Actuality was icky. Take my word for it.
Here is a shot of me painting. Ms. Books wants all to see how crazy I am.
See the built in closet I am resting my foot on? The first photo above-- is that closet before the spring clean up… pieces of trim from the bathroom redo, piles and piles of school stuff without proper homes, pieces of winter gear not properly stored, the pretty heater we used to keep our schoolroom toasty in the winter (also with stuff on it), a metal detector in the corner… stuff and stuff and stuff.
This shot--standing at the corner of the closet looking towards the rest of the room. My desk is in the background, the kids table next to it… this is what it looks like in the midst of schooling. We are creative people.
That translates to messy.
Then… after three hours of cleaning… 3 hours because I rabbit trailed and cleaned out the closet too, which led to cleaning out the coat closet in another room, which led to some clean up in the laundry room, which led back into the schoolroom…
Which garnered:
5 large bags of stuff to give away
4 boxes of stuff to give away
4 large bags of trash tossed out
Ah, clean…


Order restored.
One week later… It’s still clean.
Here’s hoping it stays that way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover