Sunday, May 30, 2010

Family Recipe from my Great Aunt

Aunt Florence's Casserole
1- 16 oz. box macaroni, cooked and drained
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 10-12 oz can chunk chicken (or approx. 1 ½ cups cooked chicken)
12 oz. cheese (American or cheddar for bite!) cut into small cubes

Directions: Mix all ingredients together and put in 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle top with paprika and bake uncovered in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.
My Cheater Directions: Instead of the cheese and macaroni- I purchase 2 boxes of off-brand deluxe macaroni and cheese (you know the ones with the cheese sauce in a foil packet) and make it according to the directions on the box- while it’s cooking I mix the soup and chicken together then add it to the mac and cheese and pop it in the oven. Voila!
This makes the recipe a bit more expensive (because of pre-package) but it’s great to have on hand for a quick put together meal! This is a great potluck casserole and I’ve also been known to take it to a new mom (just add salad and a pie and you’ve got a complete meal!). Freezes well also.
This recipe was a family reunion and church potluck staple for my Great Aunt Florence. As a little kid, I always looked for her blue and grey phalscraff casserole dish at get-togethers because I knew of the yummy gooey goodness hidden inside. I knew my sweet aunt didn't put any "yucky veggies" in her casserole! This is now one of Sassafras's favorite recipes and one of the very first dishes I have taught her to make.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover