Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Whatcha Doin'?

A quick update...

The bathroom renovations continue. I have finished my part- painting. Now Mr. Steady is working on configuring the electrical for the new lights and adding a plug in. Once the electrical is done, it’s on to the flooring-- the two toughest phases of the project we have left. After that, I do believe things will progress quickly and the room will be “open for business”. I do hope that is soon—like by-the-end-of-the-week-Saturday-at-the-latest type of soon.
I have been diligently working my way through various homeschooling catalogs, making plans and lists and more lists… I decided to plot out a basic yearly plan for Ms. Books as she will be going into 8th grade and I want to make sure I plan out all the requirements for graduation for these next 5 years. I also wanted to get an idea of the electives we would like to do and what years we would like to plug them in at. Since I was doing all this paperwork for her, I decided to plot a course, just simple overviews and notes, for Sassafras and Mr. Conductor too. I may change my mind as time goes by, but I am thrilled to have a starting point to work from. Plus I was able to do some figuring on the best way to reuse curriculum in our homeschool, for learning levels and frugality.
I have also been trying to figure out what I will teach next year for our homeschool co-op. I teach the Jr/Sr high students. My original plan had been to teach health and nutrition but the curriculum I want to use will not work within the scheduled class times for the group next year. I have found this to be quite frustrating. I contemplated reworking the curriculum to fit our schedule but I believe the time it would take me to do so and the workload it would put on my students would be too great. Neither my students nor I need that kind of stress. So I let it go. Not an easy thing for me to do. I don’t like not having a plan in place. I have a list of elective ideas but nothing is really jumping out at me and saying “Teach Me!” I am praying about it. He is Lord of my homeschool and my teaching as He is everything else and if it stresses me I know I should be taking it to Him- period.
So I am.
Speaking of homeschooling, with all the renovations and such going on our schooling has been interesting. The kiddos are really doing great. I am so proud of them. We always say homeschooling is a lifestyle… that’s been pretty apparent lately. Ms. Books and Mr. Conductor have been Mr. Steady’s helpers throughout the bathroom project and Ms. Books was eager to help me paint the room too. She has also been a big help by cooking a couple of nights while her Daddy and I work on the project. An “aside project”- Mr. Steady purchased a new fire pit and Mr. Conductor & Sassafras helped him put it together. Mr. Conductor is very good at puzzling things out for a six year old. He quickly began piecing it together and even figured out where one piece was to go when Mr. Steady couldn’t. He’s such a boy. I count it pure joy to watch my husband and children with their heads together and Mr. Steady explaining and demonstrating the use of a tool etc. They are absorbing so much.
Mr. Conductor and I have put our little light hut to rights and are ready to begin starting seeds… and we’ve got quite a few of them! Part of me is thinking we may be a little itty bitty bit overambitious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover