Thursday, April 22, 2010

Power of Place: My Walk with God

Continuing with Power of Place Series...

I serve an awesome, amazing and incredible God.

I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that His ways are far FAR better than my ways.
God has such a way of bringing things about in my life.
He stacks his plans for me like building blocks, knowing that the bigger red block has to go before the smaller blue block and so on… His plans for me build and build… in thinking of my Power of Place posts… first He taught me how to find my power in the place He has planted me, then He lovingly brought me to the power of the place he has placed me in my marriage to my dear Mr. Steady and then, only then, when He has taught me so much and had opened me up to glimpses of the glorious opportunities He has for me… when He had cultivated my heart right where He needed it to be did He gently and lovingly remind me of the power He has for me when I put Him in His proper place in my life.
When I found the power of my place where I am planted, I began my quest to live more simply.
In my search for simplicity, I realized that I was missing the simplest act of all: Spending time in God’s presence, basking in His love and affection for me, seeking His desires for me. [Revelation #1]
At this time of my life, I was a youth pastor, and as a youth pastor, I had found myself in a dreadful spot that can attack those in ministry (both paid and volunteer), I was all about doing the business of the LORD rather than letting him be in control all my business/life. I thought I had it all going on… I thought I should be feeling on top of the world with it all…
I wondered what in the world was wrong with me that I didn’t feel this way, instead…
I felt a lacking…
Hence, Revelation #2: You won’t be content until you find true contentment, the contentment that is only found in the LORD and all He has given you.
I was so wrapped up in all that I had going on, all I felt I needed to be doing, all that I wondering I was missing- all that I thought I “needed” that I wasn’t enjoying/appreciating what I had. There was no time for it…
I was, in a very real way, squeezing God out…
No wondering I felt a lacking…
So taking the time to seek God and His will, His way; I found that contentment I had been lacking.
In fact, I found an incredible blessed contentment as such that I had never experienced before.
I realized I was beginning to live out Philippians 4:11-12:
. . . . I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
That is my desire- to be content no matter the circumstances, to know that a home is what you make it to be (and allow God to make it to be). That a life is not what you try to make it to be--- but what you allow God to make it to be.
That if you seek your contentment from your surroundings, you’ll never find it… but when you give up the search and allow God to begin searching the darker parts of you…
Ah, then you find a contentment that just oozes into the crevices of your life as you know it…
You learn to rest easy in God’s blessed assurance that He’s got you covered no matter what circumstance my arise… plus He’ll help you gain a new perspective to boot…
Such as… when the roof leaks, I am thankful we have a roof which leads me to be thankful we have a foundation which leads me to be thankful for my true foundation- Jesus Christ.
When cold air blusters into my home, I am thankful and content to snuggle up in a fleecy blanket and sip hot cocoa and think of how God is at work in me, warming up the cold places in my heart… working, always working to bring me to the next phase…
When I wash dishes I am thankful for hot, running water and the physical accomplishment from a job well done… and sometimes, as I contemplate my pruny, soapy hands I think of how when I take the time to soak in scripture daily, God is washing me…
There is that somewhat overdone phrase- God is in the small things.
Makes me think God is in the every day things…
Each and every act I perform, all the repetitiousness of my life is in fact, in every facet…
An act of worship.
If I pause and look with His eyes… I can see the worship in all these things…
Leaking roofs and firm foundations…
Cold wind blowing and Him melting a frozen spirit…
Pruny hands in hot water and Him washing me white as snow…
Clothes washed and folded and a spirit clothed with His enveloping presence…
Meals served to feed hungry bellies and the Bread of Life supplied to nourish our hungry spirits…
It isn’t so much that I invited Him into my home but that I go out of my way to make Him comfortable in my home…
To give Him his proper PLACE.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, Amy! I felt you could hear my soul's voice and put it to paper.
    Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover