Monday, April 19, 2010

A bit of necessary spring cleaning

I spent my Saturday spring cleaning.

Not my home…
But my church…
And in turn…
My Heart.
You see, I’ve been a bit of a grump lately. Well, more than a bit.
My week was less than wonderful.
By Friday nite the phrase, “I’ve had it” easily rolled off my tongue.
I grumped, complained and almost, but not quite, whined.
I hate whiners. I wasn't quite there, really, but I was really, really close...
I decided it would be best if I would just send myself to bed early.
That’s what I’d do to my kiddos if they were behaving that way.
I’d say, “Obviously you didn’t get enough sleep last nite so you can just march right on up to bed right now.”
So I marched myself right on up to bed.
It helped a little… I was, at that point, pretty disgusted with myself and worn out.
However…
I did NOT wake up on the right side of the bed come Saturday morning.
The grump-itis continued to plague me.
I mumbled and murmured and huffed under my breath as we got the family and the family’s stuff all around to go help with spring cleaning at the church…
“I’ve got plenty to do here at home. Why am I spring cleaning elsewhere when it needs to be done here at home? Why can’t I get over myself and this mucky, muddy, murky mood?”
It seemed like my bad attitude was gonna stick around some…
Yet, I knew, I just knew that I needed to go to this work day and clean.
I needed to be at church.
I volunteered to vacuum the upholstery on the linking chairs in the sanctuary. I was told there’s about 250-275 chairs.
I was the only one vacuuming.
For the most part I had the sanctuary to myself. The sound of the vac drowned out any other noise. I was truly in my own sanctuary…
My own prayer closet.
The monotonous work just lent itself so very pleasingly to a wide open time of prayer. I started with singing any snippets of praise songs that came to my head, then I’d shoot up a couple of arrow prayers when people or concerns popped into my head and after awhile…
It was all out praise and worship…
Just me and my God in a holy place, doing work with my hands as He did work on my heart.
I began singing, “Give us clean hands, give us pure hearts. Let us not lift our souls to another…”
I realized that it wasn’t just the church that needed cleaning.
So did I.
And so as I vacuumed, I prayed and praised and prayed and praised.
I prayed for the people who would sit in those seats, that they would feel God’s presence there. I prayed for their needs… that people would crack open their hard parts and let God pour in…
I prayed for my heart and soul to be cleaned of all the dust and grime as easily as those seat cushions…
I prayed for those who have become habitual believers, that they would be awakened to the vibrancy of real, gritty, moving belief… be revived…

For my own hurt and hard-heartedness, that God would continue to soften me… and speak to me and show me His will for my life… I asked His blessing upon me and upon my family, upon these final weeks of the school year… I asked him to remove the bad attitude and give me a fresh attitude of gratitude… I asked Him to open my eyes and show me how to love with real love… and forgive with real forgiveness…
I asked him to cleanse me, wash me, fill me, renew me and turn my life upside down with His grace and mercy… and to have an awareness of how He already does this for me each and every day I breathe.
I asked Him to quiet my restless and troubled spirit and give me peace no matter what my circumstances may be. I asked Him to be the one to dictate my days, not me and my emotions or others and their emotions…
I begged Him to reach down and touch me, to bless me in ways I cannot even fathom to ask…
It took me close to four hours to vacuum each chair and I absolutely needed every minute of it.
At the end of it, when I sat there in the stillness…
My arms and back ached
But my heart and soul didn’t.


Teach me to do Your will,
for You are my God;
May Your good Spirit
lead me on level ground.
Psalm 143:10

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover