Monday, March 1, 2010

What's in a Name? Salmagundi

Salmagundi is a recipe my mother found in a very old cookbook at the little cabin we visited a few summers in Northern Wisconsin. The cabin is owned by friends of the family and my family has been going there since my father was a child. It is a wonderful cabin memory for us and I make it because it’s good but more for the nostalgia. I also love it because it has such a strange name- my family has another name for it too- Slop. Yep, you read that right. Grew up on a pig farm and that’s kind of what it looks like sittin’ in your bowl at the table . . . . . the name slop has never deterred us from eating it either.


Salmagundi
1 lb. hamburger
2-3 Tbsp flour
salt & pepper to taste
1 can Vegetable Soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
½ soup can of milk

Brown meat, sprinkle with flour, salt & pepper. Add soups and milk, mix well. Cook on top of stove @ med. heat until heated thru [or in casserole dish for 30 min. @ 350 degrees]- but I prefer to make it on the stove.
Serve over mashed potatoes.
This dish costs me approx. $3 to make and is enough to feed our family of 5. The way I figure it though- in another year or so- I’ll be doubling this recipe as the kids grow…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover