Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Rich Simplicity of being yourself

These are the things I want you to teach and preach. If you have leaders there who teach otherwise, who refuse the solid words of our Master Jesus and this godly instruction, tag them for what they are: ignorant windbags who infect the air with germs of envy, controversy, bad-mouthing, suspicious rumors. Eventually there's an epidemic of backstabbing, and truth is but a distant memory.
They think religion is a way to make a fast buck.
A devout life does bring wealth, but it's the rich simplicity of being yourself before God.
Since we entered the world penniless and will leave it penniless, if we have bread on the table and shoes on our feet, that's enough.
~1 Timothy 6:2-7 (The Message)


Last I checked, we’ve got bread on our table and shoes on our feet. Sometimes I get caught up in what the world thinks I should have. Even the church gets caught up in it at times. The New Testament is still quite relevant today- see the line “They think religion is a way to make a fast buck.” Ah, we’ve seen this . . . . . and experienced the backstabbing also . . . .
My very favoritest part is this “but it’s the rich simplicity of being your self before God.” Ah, the rich simplicity! How can I be anything else but me before Him! It is simplicity at it’s finest. There is nothing I can say or do to impress God- He made me just as I am- so the one to be impressed with is-- Himself!
Here is what I strive to live for- to be content with what God has so richly given me- a devout life brings wealth . . . . . when we are sold-out for Him we find that wealth comes in many different forms than dollar signs. So I may not be rich in the world’s sense of it all- but oh I am so very wealthy in the ways that count. But He says even that doesn’t matter as much as the simplicity of being yourself before the Lord! It’s not all about me and what I get out of my relationship with God; it’s about serving Him with my life- about devotion and obedience to His will.
Oh that my life would be a reflection of HIM! It is my daily prayer that others will undoubtably see Christ in me!

Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidd’st me come to Thee,
Oh, Lamb of God, I come! I come!
Just as I am, tho’ tossed about,
With many a conflict, Many a doubt,
Fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come! I come!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover