Monday, March 1, 2010

I love the smell of bread baking

The price for a loaf of bread in the store keeps climbing… so when bread isn’t on sale and I can actually make it cheaper- I do! I've included a price breakdown with the recipe.
Homemade Whole Wheat Bread
makes: 1.5 pound loaf

1 ¼ cup water
1 Tbsp+ 1 ½ tsp vegetable oil          
1 ½ tsp salt                                        
4 Tbsp packed brown sugar             
3 ¼ cups whole wheat flour            
2 ¼ Tbsp milk                                  
1 ½ tsp yeast                                   

Place ingredients in bread machine in order listed and turn it on.
Note: original recipe called for dry milk but we’ve substituted reg. 2% milk without any change in taste (plus it’s cheaper that way).
Cost breakdown: veg. oil 22 cents, salt approx. 1 cent, brown sugar 8 cents, whole wheat flour 59 cents, milk 3 cents and yeast 4 cents.
Cost for homemade Wheat Bread: $.97

Wheat bread is selling for $1.19/loaf at Aldi’s and $1.99 for store brand at the big box stores.
Now, I have to admit that I cut the homemade bread thicker (don’t get as many slices out of it as store bought) and we eat more of it (like warm with butter right after it’s done baking) but I still believe I’m getting more bang for my buck.
After all, two slices of homemade bread made into toast and slathered with peanut butter and sliced bananas makes for a filling breakfast much more than it would as 2 store-bought slices!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover