Friday, March 5, 2010

6 Years old today ...

“… Now I am Six, I’m as clever as clever.
So I think I’ll be six now forever and ever.”
-- A.A. Milne

My son, you are six years old today and I am breathless.
You can count to 73, dress yourself, get your own breakfast, pack a bag for going to Nana and Pawpaw’s, make a card, ride a bike, play detective, write “I love you”, read me a little story and sing me good-night.
Thank God you still like to hold my hand, sit on my lap, snuggle and cuddle. You kiss me lots and lots and tell me you love me, “just because its true”.
I am so thankful that you temper your increasing independence with a continuing need for your mommy.
You are my youngest.
You are my last.
You’re so stinkin’ cute it takes my breath away and I wish to capture each and every moment with you and make them last forever.
I doubt my heart will ever catch up to how quickly you are growing and changing.
Every nite when I tuck you in we sing the “I’ll Love You Forever Song”- I sing to you “my baby you’ll be” and you sing it all back with “my mama you’ll be”. Someday you’ll stop doing that, I hope that day is a long way off. I kiss you and hug you and whisper in your ear, “You are my son. I’m proud of you. Your daddy and I think you have what it takes to grow up to be a great, godly man. I love you.” Some nights you just smile, nuzzle and snuggle me and wait for me to pray with you and other nights your mind whirs with a way to say that all back to me. Just the other night you said, “You are my mama and I love you. I’m proud of you. I think you have what it takes… um, wait a minute, let me think, … I mean you are a great, godly mama.”
I think that was pretty good.
My eyes sting and my heart lurches, then settles again as we pray together.
Someday you will outgrow this, I never will.
I pray there will be a future someday when you are tucking your little one into bed and following the same ritual and your little one turns to you to whisper in your ear, “You are my daddy and I love you. I’m proud of you. I think you are a great, godly dad.”
And my prayers will be answered.

Today you are six.

In honor of today- here are six things I love about you…
1. I love how you run and launch yourself at me to give me your biggest hugs ever.
2. I love that tuft of hair you have that always sticks up.
3. I love your “Can Do” spirit.
4. I love to hear you sing. Although I must admit the opera-style singing does wear on me after a couple hours.
5. I love all your funny sayings- you have a way of putting things in perspective and making me laugh.
6. I love how you love Jesus with your whole heart. You once said, “Jesus has always been in my heart but not all in. He didn’t come all in until I asked him to.”

Of course, there is so much more I love about you… I could fill a book, but instead I make it my objective to fill your life with moments when I stop just to tell you the things I love about you…

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover